Problem with '06 Renegade ticking sound, just got the car on Saturday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luke Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Heck I can even hear them and I'm almost legally deaf.

you too .. welcome to the club :(
Ever stand on a Detroit 8V92TA engine when it hydro locked(after force feeding it water from a fire truck for almost 5mins,it was on fire and running away)?

That mostly did in my hearing](*,).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, saying it has a bad wrist pin without breaking it down it a pretty dang crazy conclusion. I could understand if it was a known problem and knowing that was the sound but to just say, hey, its got a bad wrist pin sounds kinda impossible. Its by all means not something that the 3.7 is known for. Personally if its under warranty till 84k I wouldnt worry with it. If it gets worse take it in but it could just be the injectors as others have said.

"Hey, did you hear that car going by at 60mph, it had a spun bearing!! haha"

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
15 years of stage monitors on 11 and my drum kit did mine in ..add in a screaming dose of tinnitus and that's what you get.

(banghead) << This I understand!

Cheers

Sry ...waaaaay off topic

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you too .. welcome to the club :(

Same here, pretty much deaf in the left ear, limited hearing in the right. Watch out when i open the door on the KJ the stereo might be loud enough to knock you over...

Oh, and i can hear my injectors too. First time i hear that i got a mechanics stethoscope out to try and figure out what was causing the noise, checked everything, then i realized its resonating from the fuel rail. Having that plastic intake plenum doesn't deaden the sound any either i think.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15 years of stage monitors on 11 and my drum kit did mine in ..add in a screaming dose of tinnitus and that's what you get.

(banghead) << This I understand!

Cheers

Sry ...waaaaay off topic

Mine was partially taken out by ear infections as a kid, and then my left ear lost the rest of its hearing from years on the farm looking over my right shoulder with the left ear facing to the front and the straight pipe exhaust on some of the tractors i used 10-12 hours a day. Never thought of using hearing protection you know??

And now, starting about 5 years ago, i get the random ringing in the ears, fun! But my right ear hears high pitched sounds like a hawk for some reason, so i hear stuff all the time that my wife doesn't and when i ask her what it is she gives me that crazy look.

Anyway, back on topic.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you guys were crazy accussing me of calling my Jeep a car until I re-read my post. I did call it a car a few times....

I have a Jeep

In the shop

Owned for 56 hours

Not a good start

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
On a more serious note:

There are reports that somedealers are finding "repairs" to bill under warranty repairs to keep the dealership in cash until sales pick up.

IF they were going to assure it would get at least a new long block for $100 total, I'd jump on it even if it is a B.S. diagnoses.

If they are going pull a motor to then decide what repair is needed and it may/may not be covered, I'd get a second opinion.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would try to get a second opinion.
Any other dealers close by?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
$100.00 For new long block? What is the problem? Killing cats? car,car,car,car.....

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an aside - my Liberty (car) has been making racket ever since I bought it. In fact, I went to a lube shop once and while I was pulling into the bay and the service tech thought that my engine was a "couple" quarts low on oil.

Ticking noises in the KJ are pretty common.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing is how they can diagnose the ticking noise as a wrist pin. How the heck do they do that? X-Ray vision? I'd suspect a sticky lifter right off the bat.

And put a 1/2 quart of MMO in the oil to see if it quiets down. Before I let them pull the motor. If it does quiet it down a little, put the other 1/2 quart in the oil. JMO based on past experience.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing is how they can diagnose the ticking noise as a wrist pin. How the heck do they do that? X-Ray vision? I'd suspect a sticky lifter right off the bat.

And put a 1/2 quart of MMO in the oil to see if it quiets down. Before I let them pull the motor. If it does quiet it down a little, put the other 1/2 quart in the oil. JMO based on past experience.

Yeah i think some treatment in the oil, i won't be brand specific as everyone has their preference, might be a good diagnostic.

I don't remember if he said or not, does the ticking change with engine speed?

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the service manager called me yesterday. He said they pulled the motor and determined it was a piston problem. They are going to replace the short block. Everything under the heads.

All covered under the warranty.

I get the Jeep back the end of next week.

Its been in the shop longer than I've driven it.

Crazy

I hope its all legit and I get a great running Jeep that lasts a long time.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
With luck you will get many miles,hours of use from engine.Now what lift are you getting? Tires,wheels? bumpers?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm wondering if that's the reason why it was sold. Is it possible that you were so excited that, you didn't hear any noises at first? Adrenaline has made me forget / not pay attention / do many things that I don't need to be doing. lol3.gif

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible. I was excited. I test drove it for about 45 minutes. Looked it over for another 45 minutes and made him an offer.

I havent purchased many cars before.

The Jeep is extremely clean and it has many options and the owner seemed genuine. He was selling it for his daughter who recently got divorced. I dont think he new about the tick.

I noticed the tick when I got home when I did a lot more stop and go driving. Thats when you can really hear it.

Hope it all works out.

I've been researching tires, rims, racks and lifts on here. I study the pictures.

I just foung the L.O.S.T website, thats a good one too.