Prestone Univseral Anti-Freeze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...so Chrysler says you "must" use the special red (HOAT) anti-freeze, but not one auto parts store around here sells it.....

I made a command decision to substitute that product with Prestone Universal 5 year / 150,000 mile anti-freeze. Prestone claims it's good for any make or model vehicle, and can be mixed with any color anti-freeze.....

So how critical is it that Chrysler vehicles use the red stuff......????

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Prestone coolants are OAT which is Dexacool.Don't do unless you want issues down the road like plugged radiators,intake gaskets eaten away,and a disolved water pump impeller.You also can not mix HOAT coolant and OAT coolant as it will cancel out any protection so you might as well just run straight water then.

You can go to a Ford dealership and get there Gold antifreeze which is also HOAT coolant or Napa and get(or order) Zerex GO5.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got mine at NAPA. Check there.

Dave

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Prestone coolants are OAT which is Dexacool.Don't do unless you want issues down the road like plugged radiators,intake gaskets eaten away,and a disolved water pump impeller.You also can not mix HOAT coolant and OAT coolant as it will cancel out any protection so you might as well just run straight water then.

You can go to a Ford dealership and get there Gold antifreeze which is also HOAT coolant or Napa and get(or order) Zerex GO5.

Ditto even says this warning on the lable of Zerex GO5 HOAT that OAT is not the same and will damage a system made for HOAT.
Also as a side note you will want to use distiled water and not tap water in the mix.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Listen to Troy surf. Mixing Hoat with Oat aint going to float the boat, very well at all.
I would be immediately headed to a dealership and have a flush done on their machine and make it right again. My recent dealer flush was not very expensive and left my system totally clean and Hoat filled.
The system should be flushed every 5 years or sooner anyways.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I made the mistake of using Perstone crap in a pinch very shortly after buying our Heep and ended up needing a new water pump less than two weeks after pouring it into the expansion tank!
I just go to the dealership and buy HOAT from them. Doesn't cost more.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Prestone coolants are OAT which is Dexacool.Don't do unless you want issues down the road like plugged radiators,intake gaskets eaten away,and a disolved water pump impeller.

Okay, I do know the difference between coolants. And I also have a slight understanding of why some automakers use one verses the other... like what kind of metal it will come into contact with in the engine. My Buick used Dexcool originally and I flushed the entire system over and over, ran it clean with pure water, and flushed some more, then finally started running the regular green stuff without having any issues for years.

Would this type of thing not be a possibility with the Jeeps?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I do know the difference between coolants. And I also have a slight understanding of why some automakers use one verses the other... like what kind of metal it will come into contact with in the engine. My Buick used Dexcool originally and I flushed the entire system over and over, ran it clean with pure water, and flushed some more, then finally started running the regular green stuff without having any issues for years.

Would this type of thing not be a possibility with the Jeeps?
Only if you have a custom made waterpump without a plastic impeller and have the whole cooling system coated inside so the OAT coolant does not eat the gaskets.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only if you have a custom made waterpump without a plastic impeller and have the whole cooling system coated inside so the OAT coolant does not eat the gaskets.

Ugh, a plastic impeller? Small wonder... it would eat the crap out of that.

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My aftermarket water pump had an aluminum impeller on it which was quite a surprise to me considering the factory pump was plastic.