PowerTrax no-slip..I may have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is directed to anyone with the powertrax no-slip....

Mine is kinda acting funny. I've been questioning whether or not I installed it correctly. But after installing it I realized....I don't think it is possible to put it together wrong. The pieces just wont fit together wrong.......will they??

Any way, I've had it in for just over 500 miles now and I know the darn thing is supposed to "pop" going around turns. Mine only pops when I turn right. I've driven in "full lock" circles to the left and it as quiet as can be. Now, when I do the same thing to the right, It goes nuts....ratcheting and popping like crazy. sometimes at higher speeds (like on the highway 55-70mph), when I come off the gas then get on it again, my rear-end feels loose and fishtaily.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing any of these same problems??

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks, Tony

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something is wrong to me. Mine definitely does not do that. I suspect the dog teeth on one side are slipping. Every time it slips and hooks up again it makes a pop. Alot of time people confuse the pop with the dog teeth not wanting to disengage, when in fact it is the opposite. The dog teeth don't have enough holding force. This happens to some people if they dump a whole tube and friction modifier in there (becomea too slippery), a manufacturing error, or once in a while the dog teeth don't line up exactly and slip.

Also, alot of people confuse what kind of pops or sounds are normal. A light to medium pop, click, or clunk is perfectly normal. That is from the teeth releasing and drive line backlash. A bang or pop that shakes and shutters the whole Jeep is not normal. The distinction being the one you may hear or slightly feel, the other will almost feel as if something hit your jeep and you will feel a sideways jerk.

Also, did you do the install? If so did you install the paddled spacer on both sides. It can be easily installed without the paddled spacer, however it will not function properly. Also if you don't line everything up correctly during the install you can end up breaking the paddle of the spacer. Both of those will cause problems similar you what you describe. The paddled spacer keeps the dog teeth from re-engaging once that have been separated. If the paddled spacer is not doing its job then you will probably hear a ratcheting and banging sound because the dog teeth keep on engaging and re-engaging during the turn.

Either way you are probably going to have to open the cover back up and check the install, look for broken parts.

Just on side note, I had similar problem happen to me when I first installed mine. Took it out and bench assembled it. Out on the bench I realized one side of the dog teeth where not fully engaging, due to one of the spacers being about .5mm out of spec. Called up powertrax and they send me another spacer and it worked just perfect afterwards.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eddo,

Yes, I did install myself. And, I made sure all the parts were there before installation (I also "bench assembled") before installing.

You mentioned the fact that, If you don't line everything up correctly, you could have some major problems. Well, that's exactly what I have been worrying about. during the install I had to turn the drive line FWD and AFT to make everything go in a little easier. I'm thinking, somehow the Couplers that I installed (drivers side:large notch in synchro ring facing aft...and passenger side facing fwd.) must have slipped one way or the other. That's what I thought when it first started acting strange. Then I though, if it was installed that way, it should, eventually "right" itself. Because, the the coupler should, at times, spin freely from the driver and the active spacer, right?

Well, Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I want to pull her apart and take a look but, finding the time is going to be difficult.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. Mine pops and carries on alot, but doesnt ratchet onroad. It will ratchet fairly bad when Im offroad in 4low coming DOWN a hill making a STEEP turn.. Not to sure why it only does it then, but thats the only time Ive heard it do it? It was quite as could be this last time I took it offroad though. Only a few pops is all it put out.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bohica-kj said:
Thanks Eddo,

Yes, I did install myself. And, I made sure all the parts were there before installation (I also "bench assembled") before installing.

You mentioned the fact that, If you don't line everything up correctly, you could have some major problems. Well, that's exactly what I have been worrying about. during the install I had to turn the drive line FWD and AFT to make everything go in a little easier. I'm thinking, somehow the Couplers that I installed (drivers side:large notch in synchro ring facing aft...and passenger side facing fwd.) must have slipped one way or the other. That's what I thought when it first started acting strange. Then I though, if it was installed that way, it should, eventually "right" itself. Because, the the coupler should, at times, spin freely from the driver and the active spacer, right?

Well, Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I want to pull her apart and take a look but, finding the time is going to be difficult.

It's really hard to say what happened without looking at it. I've installed a handful of these, but never experienced your problem, but I'm always careful in my install. However, I've been told that if you don't line up the paddle spacer in the correct slot inside the syncro ring and the coupler it will break off and cause all kinds of problems. The paddle from the spacer will really only completely fit inside the syrno ring and coupler one way, but it is easy to get it wrong when everything is tightly packed inside the differential. The syncro ring spins, but the paddle never moves places inside the ring so it will no re-align itself if installed incorrectly. Also the paddle has some movement inside the coupler, but also will not swap places if incorrectly installed.

You are most likely going to have to pull it apart. Its get much faster and easier the second time around. There is a much easier way to install it then the way the directions suggest too. Turning this side then that side. You take it out and bench assemble it and use a shaprie to mark how each of the side line up. Then when you put it back in just make sure you get all your pen marks lines up.

Pull apart the two side and compare. If it is a problem with the spacer and paddle then it would be with left side of the locker, because the left side that is disengaged in a right hand turn.

It's really quite simple once you do it a few times. I'm sure once you take it apart again you will find your problem.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Eddo..

I think I am going to pull it back apart. Hopefully I can just realign everything and nothing is broke [-o<

Your tip on using a sharpie is a great idea!!! As soon as I read that, I smacked myself for not thinking of it.

It might be a week or so until I get to it but, when I do, I'll let you know how it turn out. Until then I'll be driving slow and extremely cautiously.

Tony