Power steering pulley removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neum0105

Reaction score
I had my serpentine belt replaced 3,000 miles ago at my last oil change and now I just got my oil changed today and found the serpentine belt missing huge chunks and just really worn out (which shouldn't happen after only 3,000 miles) :favorites68: . I looked at the power steering pulley and it looks cracked across the ridges but on this forum people say that the pulley is supposed to be like that. Well I bought a new pulley anyway and this one does not have a crack across the ridges. So, my question is how the heck do you get the pulley off? I've been trying to break loose the 3/8" allen wrench bolt but have been unsuccessful. I called the stealership to see if they had any advice and they told me that the pulley doesn't come off and I have to replace the whole power steering pump, is this true?

I have a '06 Liberty Limited 3.7L

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of work. I think I would look for other reasons before attempting a pulley change. My Jeep has the same split in the PS pulley and my belt has 106,000 miles on it. I was going to change it when I changed out the tensioner a few weeks ago, but have decided to see how long it will run.
Have you checked to make sure the tensioner and alternator pulleys are spinning free. Same for A/C compressor?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.