Power Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Todays jeep issue, power steering.
Replaced the power steering pump a little while back, but the high pressure line going into the bottom has continued to leak since and figured if I'm going to take it off to check the quality of the O-Ring that i may as well just replace it while I'm at it.
So i went ahead and replaced the high pressure line and return lines going from the power steering pump.
When i disassembled everything i started with the return line, and drained near all of the power steering fluid. But while doing all of this i had the rear end of the jeep on ramps to change the u-joints.
Now the u-joints are done, and i pushed the jeep off the ramps to keep from running the pump with that much air in it(as i couldn't lift the front wheels to purge the air with the way the vehicle was positioned in the garage).
So got the jeep down, jacked up the front, started right up and let it run for a quick moment(with a wicked power steering whine). Immediately began to rotate the wheels from bump stop to bump stop and it seemed as though everything was going great.
Jeep quieted down nicely without all of the air in it, and the wheels rotated nicely when being lifted off of the ground.
Turned off the jeep, lowered it, did a little bit of brake work.. and when i backed it up to move it so that i could work on the drivers side, i now have no power assisted steering. Hard as the dickens to turn the wheel.. feels like the car is off and the pump is doing nothing, although its running and moving.
Any Help? Suggestions?
First thought was.. is there a fuse for the power steering somewhere along the lines??.. No..

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. There's no power steering leak when off/idling/attempting to turn.
Just started after replacing the lines, any ideas where to look?.. problem at the steering rack perhaps? Or could I have killed my pump by filling it without turning the wheels as I filled it and starting it with that much air??

Members online