Power loss in 4X4 part time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on a fishing trip last weekend ( no pic sorry ) and got a weird issue with the jeep. I was in the wood towing a trailer with a 800 pound ATV on it and all the stuff in the jeep, maybe 2000 1500 pound of material and human resources.
When climbing a small hill I noticed that I needed to push the pedal on the floor and still wasn't getting a lot of power to the wheel. Barely enough to climb it. On the top of it I rolled back to 2X4 and eveything was fine, no loss of power at all. Later on the trail I switched to 4 X 4 part time again and everything went fine for the rest of the trip ( 4 days ). I'll get it to my mechanic soon to see what could be wrong but just wanted to know if you guys have any idea of what could cause this.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on a fishing trip last weekend ( no pic sorry ) and got a weird issue with the jeep. I was in the wood towing a trailer with a 800 pound ATV on it and all the stuff in the jeep, maybe 2000 1500 pound of material and human resources.
When climbing a small hill I noticed that I needed to push the pedal on the floor and still wasn't getting a lot of power to the wheel. Barely enough to climb it. On the top of it I rolled back to 2X4 and eveything was fine, no loss of power at all. Later on the trail I switched to 4 X 4 part time again and everything went fine for the rest of the trip ( 4 days ). I'll get it to my mechanic soon to see what could be wrong but just wanted to know if you guys have any idea of what could cause this.

Could it have just been a combination of the hill, your trailer, and 4x4 itself? Did it go all the way into part time 4x4?

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was. I was on 4X4 for about 20min when it happened. I guess that if the T-case wasn't fully engaged then I would have run fine in 2X4 like the rest of the run no?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you were on a wet hill and had some tires slipping.

nothing more than that. There is not a way for the 4x4 to work intermittently except to say that you have open front and rear differentials and it operated as expected.