Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a rough guess when the hitch will become available to get installed? its pretty ridiculous that its been this long.. and in august im moving to tampa so im kinda in need lol
It's going to take a long time to build 1.2 million hitches,they are having to re-tool a couple of factories to build them all.It could take a few years.

Expecting it is wrong,go buy one and be done with it or wait.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ's it's a direct hook up, access behind the RR interior panel since the lights are BCM controlled.The factory wiring comes with a converter box.

Forgot about the ones in the paneling, I did not deal with too many of those and the last one was an attempt with a BMW, to in which I gave some sign language a few colorful metaphors to my coworker and told him send the customer to the dealership to do it. When you pull the panel off and see about thirty different wires ALL COLORED BROWN and a Diagram in German, yup its a good way to end up paying for the customer to have a lot of accidental work done at the dealership.

The stock harness has that relay package that converts the 3 bulb flasher / stoplight / tail into stop/tail.

There are 3rd party ones I'm sure.

Got mine as 2nd owner and it's not on the window sticker so assume it was dealer installed. Mopar hitch and I hear the relays clock in the rear panel.

And NO idea just how hard to install - I have the factory manual - but never read up on it.

Third party like U-Haul requires a complete power converter meaning if you don't break into the panel and use the 12v cigarette lighter socket on vehicles equipped with one you're stuck running the power wire under the whole vehicle to the battery. Unless you have one with the battery in the trunk, makes it real easy then like Volvo's aside if you don't have to clean out the trunk to get to the battery.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the ones in the paneling, I did not deal with too many of those and the last one was an attempt with a BMW, to in which I gave some sign language a few colorful metaphors to my coworker and told him send the customer to the dealership to do it. When you pull the panel off and see about thirty different wires ALL COLORED BROWN and a Diagram in German, yup its a good way to end up paying for the customer to have a lot of accidental work done at the dealership.

Third party like U-Haul requires a complete power converter meaning if you don't break into the panel and use the 12v cigarette lighter socket on vehicles equipped with one you're stuck running the power wire under the whole vehicle to the battery. Unless you have one with the battery in the trunk, makes it real easy then like Volvo's aside if you don't have to clean out the trunk to get to the battery.
The KJ has a empty connector behind the RR interior panel that you simply plug in the flat 4 or 7 pin wiring into(not 100% sure on 7 pin),route the wiring through the plug(included with harness) and then to the hitch.No wire tapping or anything.Takes mins to install with zero tools.The converter box is part of the OEM hitch wiring.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my wiring harness that came with my truck when got it used about a year ago had a messed up 7 pin connector and the reverse was never connected up so I actually had to splice it in for that, but I still would have needed to splice the wire for my back up camera.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ has a empty connector behind the RR interior panel that you simply plug in the flat 4 or 7 pin wiring into(not 100% sure on 7 pin),route the wiring through the plug(included with harness) and then to the hitch.No wire tapping or anything.Takes mins to install with zero tools.The converter box is part of the OEM hitch wiring.

True when you're using a factory hook up, I had to use U-Haul wiring hook ups (which is made by U-Haul to be universal) 90% of the time unless I got lucky and had a factory direct hook up sold by U-Haul or customer brought their own in to have installed. I preferred factory hook ups just for the fact its plug and play. The two types of 7-spade pin harnesses I had to work with were either a Flat 4 plug and play that connected to the 7 which needed no splicing, this included two extra wires for brake controller and reverse lock out for trailers equipped with electric brakes. The second was a complete direct wire in with no harness to plug in to, you ran all the wires from the tail lights etc... and put them in the harness, I hated that one and I had customers that only wanted that harness and set up. Though for a little bit of patience which I have and the fact of spending 40 bucks for a U-Haul set up, a cigarette lighter in the RR panel I'll just run that route as opposed to spending twice as much for a factory plug in from Mopar.

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just happy mine came with the hitch and wiring already in place from Mopar :) No recall our U-haul for me! Muahahaha!

Sent from my own little galaxy...

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How do you route from the trailer on the exterior into the "behind the panel" area?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
People keep worrying when they are getting a hitch since they need one now. If I needed something that bad I'd buy one and forget about it. Heck I have one sitting at my place now that anyone close by could have for 50 bucks, 70 installed , but no takers....everyone wants a new free one :roflsquared:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an extra one as well for anyone with a cut rear bumper that wants a higher hitch.
You have hitches everywhere don't you? :shrug::happy175:
I keep looking at yours sitting up at my place thinking " I don't want to move it, I don't want to move it " :ROFLJest:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have hitches everywhere don't you? :shrug::happy175:
I keep looking at yours sitting up at my place thinking " I don't want to move it, I don't want to move it " :ROFLJest:

I keep hanging on to this one thinking I could help someone out thats looking for one. Getting tired of tripping over it . Might cut it up and save the steel for other projects.

Bubba Fett

Reaction score
Chrysler Refuses to Recall 2.7 Million Jeep SUVs

READ MORE

Makes no sense... where are the recalls on every other model vehicle with rear mounted gas tanks? What about the Dodge Nitro which is built pretty much on a KJ body frame. Nitro's have the same tank location, as does many Ford's, Honda's, and other vehicles.

Sounds like the Fed's are trying to cut out two companies that are known for having big beefy vehicles (Dodge and Jeep). Only way they will get people to buy those battery operated egg timers I guess.

I just got my Liberty and Obama can take it from my cold dead hands.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense... where are the recalls on every other model vehicle with rear mounted gas tanks? What about the Dodge Nitro which is built pretty much on a KJ body frame. Nitro's have the same tank location, as does many Ford's, Honda's, and other vehicles.

Sounds like the Fed's are trying to cut out two companies that are known for having big beefy vehicles (Dodge and Jeep). Only way they will get people to buy those battery operated egg timers I guess.

I just got my Liberty and Obama can take it from my cold dead hands.
The Nitro's gas tank in the center as it's just a KK,not a KJ.

BeierwaltesGarage

Reaction score
Aftermarket hitch manufacturers aren't going to like this recall too much. Any ZJ, WJ, or KJ hitches they have sitting in the warehouse will be completely worthless if Chrysler is going to install hitches for free.

Anyway, the problems aren't really with the Jeeps fuel tank location. The problem is with all the small cars on the road being able to drive under the rear of our Jeeps many times resulting in the upper components of the engine chewing their way through our poly tanks and then that fuel dumps onto a hot engine and you know what happens next. Are they going to address the issues with these low nosed cars? I don't think so.

TayJeep

Reaction score
New KJ owner - Recall help

So as a new owner of a 2006 Liberty limited that does not have a hitch, am I able to go to a dealer and get a hitch installed due to this recall? Everything I read or see on the news is basically saying Chrysler is not doing anything for owners.
Thanks

Latest posts

Members online