Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah but I'm looking at it this way, saves me 350 bucks to have U-Haul throw it on even though I would get a better price being a former employee for them. I can do the wiring myself but I honestly don't mind having a hitch thrown on. I had been considering buying at Hitch when I got the KJ so this just helped out.

Oh by the way I heard that original Model A's will have to be redone with a roof attachment fitted with Airbags, actual LED headlamps and working Brake Lamps. Somebody also said the emissions might have to be reconfigured and all owners will get free engine upgrades to Fords new Ecoboost at no additional cost.

350 bucks :icon_eek:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course you could be one of those people that buys a 150 dollar ''Universal'' Hitch. -has a heart attack.-

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait till you're done paying for the hitch, installation labor it isn't free and usually its a half hour minimum charge, ball, draw bar, tax and wiring sir.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cant install a trailer hitch on your own then I don't know what to tell you.... even the wiring harness is pretty straight forward.

Hitch - $130
Draw Bar and Ball - $20
Wiring harness - $25

Grand total of - $175 im no scientist or mathematician but this is still quite a bit less than $350.....

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cant install a trailer hitch on your own then I don't know what to tell you.... even the wiring harness is pretty straight forward.

Some people are not physically able others prefer not to, so they pay others. Everybody's different.
Just to fuel!
KK hitch- 168. KK wiring harness -130 ish.So yep 350 is about right.
No 25 $ wire splice job that's most likely a 4 flat not 7 round.

Last edited:

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hitch - $130
Draw Bar and Ball - $20
Wiring harness - $25

Grand total of - $175 im no scientist or mathematician but this is still quite a bit less than $350.....

Do you (or anyone here?) have the ability to look up Mopar parts, to find how much the Liberty hitch and wiring harness would be? (and yes, I realize that the recall one might be different somehow). Someone, and I can't think of who, was trying to tell me the Mopar wiring harness for the hitch was over $100.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you (or anyone here?) have the ability to look up Mopar parts, to find how much the Liberty hitch and wiring harness would be? (and yes, I realize that the recall one might be different somehow). Someone, and I can't think of who, was trying to tell me the Mopar wiring harness for the hitch was over $100.

Anyone can look up part on the internet. Go to sites like MOPAR on line.
You must be registered for see images
nWn
Crap photos but 168 for hitch and 116 for wire harness but that's with a 10-15% discount.
http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/liberty/hitch.htm

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hitch - $130
Draw Bar and Ball - $20
Wiring harness - $25

I've installed hitches when I worked at U-Haul, a Hitch Jack works wonders since its the extra pair of hands you need to do the job and you don't have to pay somebody a case of beer to help you when you do not have jack stands.

Some people are not physically able others prefer not to, so they pay others. Everybody's different.
Just to fuel!
KK hitch- 168. KK wiring harness -130 ish.So yep 350 is about right.
No 25 $ wire splice job that's most likely a 4 flat not 7 round.

I can do the job myself though it would be a nasty rodeo when all said n' done and somebody AKA my brother getting killed because I would finally be mad enough to do it. (He would be standing over me the whole time with a mouth full of Grizzly Wintergreen telling me how he could do it faster and better than I can, but won't do it because he can barely work a socket wrench in the first place. Of course he wouldn't make it that far because my 300 Dollar Snap-On torque wrench would go up against his head) :chair:

Oh its not that hard to convert a Flat 4 to a Round 7, done it many times doing wiring for U-Haul. I have a dual harness waiting to go on the Jeep which a flat 4 just plugs into with additional wire hookups for trailer brake controllers and reverse light electric brake lockout that some trailers have.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used 4 flat(won't) always did complete separate trailer wiring.
Can I have torque wrench? Mine broke again, parts no longer available. I had to use old needle type torque wrench when I swapped to summer wheels.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone can look up part on the internet. Go to sites like MOPAR on line.
nWn
Crap photos but 168 for hitch and 116 for wire harness but that's with a 10-15% discount.
Jeep Liberty Trailer Hitch Receiver, Hitch Ball and Wiring Harness.

That's more than likely a factory style wiring harness, I've dealt with them before depending on the style they can be a direct hook up to an open socket underneath the vehicle as with some Mopars, Fords and GM's, to a split style hook up through the tail lights with no splicing needed period. I always liked those the best rather than dealing with a power converter style wiring setup, especially on trucks where you have to run the power wire underneath all the way to the battery.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's more than likely a factory style wiring harness, I've dealt with them before depending on the style they can be a direct hook up to an open socket underneath the vehicle as with some Mopars, Fords and GM's, to a split style hook up through the tail lights with no splicing needed period. I always liked those the best rather than dealing with a power converter style wiring setup, especially on trucks where you have to run the power wire underneath all the way to the battery.
The KJ's it's a direct hook up, access behind the RR interior panel since the lights are BCM controlled.The factory wiring comes with a converter box.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock harness has that relay package that converts the 3 bulb flasher / stoplight / tail into stop/tail.

There are 3rd party ones I'm sure.

Got mine as 2nd owner and it's not on the window sticker so assume it was dealer installed. Mopar hitch and I hear the relays clock in the rear panel.

And NO idea just how hard to install - I have the factory manual - but never read up on it.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a rough guess when the hitch will become available to get installed? its pretty ridiculous that its been this long.. and in august im moving to tampa so im kinda in need lol

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
August based on the article above... but that's in the air as well. They were supposed to start shipping out to dealers already but that hasn't been done.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a rough guess when the hitch will become available to get installed? its pretty ridiculous that its been this long.. and in august im moving to tampa so im kinda in need lol

If you need a hitch go buy one. Keep the receipt, and see if you can get reimbursed.