Possibel water pump leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a small drop of fluid under the center of the engine block about a week ago. This drip was not consistant and has not even affected my coolant level within the past week 1.5 weeks. The leak appears to be coolant. The leak is coming from somewhere near the oil filter so I think it's the water pump. My vehicle is a 2006 jeep liberty 3.7L V6 with 103,000 miles on it. I was quoted at $230 for the job of replacing the water pump. What do you guys think of buying the part at autozone and not a factory repalcement? The factory ones are on back order online. Do you think someone with minimal mechanical knowledge could do this job? Any advice if I decide to go for it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would never ever buy anything like that at *utozone
They are good only for wax and air freshners
If not available through Mopar then NAPA next choice IMO

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I am thinking about doing this jobs myself. I'd have to buy a torque wrench unless there's a trick to knowing how tight the bolts sould be on the pulleys. I have never taken the belt off but it seems easy, just turn the bolt holding the tensioner CLOCKWISE until it loosens right? Can anyone tell me how to know how tight or how far to screw it back into place the the belt is the right tension?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tensioner pulley is spring loaded.. nothing to adjust.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically you just line the belts up with all the pulleys and then tighten the bolt COUNTER CLOCKWISE on the tensioner until it wont turn?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.. when you turn the bolt the whole pulley will move.. when you release the tension on the bolt the pulley will move back on its own.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idea how tight i should tighten the water pump bolts? Seems like a kinda easy job i am just nervous.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bolt itself on the tensioner is a reverse bolt right?

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as buying your part at Autozone... I have been buying parts from them for 30 years and have never had any of their parts go bad any sooner than the original. in fact most of them outlived the original. In that 30 years, I have driven over 2 million miles on my personal work trucks, doing service and installations of satellite TV equipment. I averaged 100,000 miles a year for at least 20 of those years. I've always done my own service for my vehicles. Always got my parts at Big A, Autozone, or Kragen Auto parts, once in a while, when the parts were hard to find, I would use Napa, because they had a larger selection, but were usually more expensive. I've NEVER bought any parts from a dealer.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the drip tray for changing the oil filter? Is it dipping oil or coolant?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a new oil filter. Has the oil been change lately if so the drip tray can drip oil off it after a filter change. Maybe a leaky oil sending unit its over the oil filter.

YoungL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isnt oil but something is dripping and catching on that "drip tray". the fluid is light orange like antifreeze

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '02 water pump the weep hole was on the top center of the pump. It looked like his was too. It did look like there was something liquid on the top of his at some point. My water leak was not the water pump, it was the gasket. The gasket itself was leaking on the lower right hand corner of the pump as seen from the front of the pump. (Pulley side toward you.) This caused mine to leak down almost under the oil filter and then into the skid plate. Have you removed the belt and tried to wiggle the pulley to see if there is any lateral play in it yet?