Possessed 08 Kk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All. Advice needed to avoid chasing my tail in circles. 2008 Kk limited 128k became posessed a few days back.

While driving around town, wipers on / off automatically, dash lights flashing on/off like Xmas tree, tach and speedo drop to zero and then kick back on, and radio kicks on & off all while driving.

Now running fine. No gremlins present

Alternator was replaced a week prior. Battery (interstate) installed 1/2023. Aftermarket radio w/ canbus adapter installed 1/2023.

Pulled codes. See pics. Codes cleared, and ill see what returns. FYI no check engine light on.

Any thoughts or tips / tricks? A faulty BCM or does TIPM need refurbishing?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 4

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
These Jeeps do all kinds of random things if the voltage is low. I would unhook the battery to reset the computer again, and get the battery tested. It is possible that the battery is not holding full power since the alternator died and stressed it out.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These Jeeps do all kinds of random things if the voltage is low. I would unhook the battery to reset the computer again, and get the battery tested. It is possible that the battery is not holding full power since the alternator died and stressed it out.
Good idea. I haven’t thought of that assuming battery is relatively new.

john e denson

Reaction score
I replaced my alternator with one from discount auto and it did many weird things shortly after installing. It came from Mexico and the label said it was the right one. They replaced it and my problems went away. I think the label was wrong or it was defective. It still cranked up so I thought it was overcharging the battery. This was 2005 and I think they had different amperage rating on some of the alternators.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my alternator with one from discount auto and it did many weird things shortly after installing. It came from Mexico and the label said it was the right one. They replaced it and my problems went away. I think the label was wrong or it was defective. It still cranked up so I thought it was overcharging the battery. This was 2005 and I think they had different amperage rating on some of the alternators.
The new one is a new Duralast one from AZ that i had a local shop ive used 100s of times before put in. It is a “new” from Malaysia unit. It tested good this morning via scanner. Will check x 2.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monday evening update. New battery under warranty, new alternator + 250 miles. No sign of Mowgli or pals having returned yet. (Fingers crossed).

Appreciate the suggestions.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. New Gremlins during a rainy day. Compass goes away. Wipers go on and wont respond to switch. Radio volume jumps to 100. Any ideas? Alternator? Or some sensor being wet? Will check for codes once rain stops.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.jpeg
    IMG_1847.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 0

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the door locks function as they should? Wipers & door locks both fritzing out at the same time can be a symptom of a bad TIPM (totally integrated power module - the fancy fuse box under the hood). I don’t want to jump to that conclusion because it is an expensive part, but it is something to be aware of.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the door locks function as they should? Wipers & door locks both fritzing out at the same time can be a symptom of a bad TIPM (totally integrated power module - the fancy fuse box under the hood). I don’t want to jump to that conclusion because it is an expensive part, but it is something to be aware of.
Thought the same. It was intermittent and now back to normal?? Time will tell

john e denson

Reaction score
I got the wrong alternator from discount auto and my jeep did some crazy stuff even when it was turned off. people would tell me my jeep horn was going off with no one in it among other things. I would check if it is overcharging.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the wrong alternator from discount auto and my jeep did some crazy stuff even when it was turned off. people would tell me my jeep horn was going off with no one in it among other things. I would check if it is overcharging.
Will do. Replaced it last Summer. No turn signals too

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternator & battery check out. Plus no change after “hard reset”. So rabbit hole on internet is leading me to think tipm failing. Anyone have any experience with replacement units? Dorman has one via Autozone etc. plus other shops like MAKS (here in Socal) have rebuilts. Thoughts?

Symptoms recap: no high beams. No turn signals, wipers always on, digital compas flashes on / off, and radio volume jumped to 11 (Spinal Tap reference).

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say I have had my TIPM out several times over the years to install upper control arms. It is intimidating at first but it is really not that difficult a job to remove and replace. The hardest part is figuring out how the wiring pigtails come apart without breaking them. But after that it is a cinch.

If you do get a TIPM from somewhere else, I have read that it is not necessary to have it programmed to your VIN. You should, however, get one that has the same options as your jeep has, so that everything works as expected. For example, if you have fog lights and cruise control, be sure that the donor Jeep has them too. Disclaimer: I am only 90% sure of what I just stated. So be sure to do your own research too.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say I have had my TIPM out several times over the years to install upper control arms. It is intimidating at first but it is really not that difficult a job to remove and replace. The hardest part is figuring out how the wiring pigtails come apart without breaking them. But after that it is a cinch.

If you do get a TIPM from somewhere else, I have read that it is not necessary to have it programmed to your VIN. You should, however, get one that has the same options as your jeep has, so that everything works remoas expected. For example, if you have fog lights and cruise control, be sure that the donor Jeep has them too. Disclaimer: I am only 90% sure of what I just stated. So be sure to do your own research too.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess a bad earth somewhere that's getting wet.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove and replacement doesn’t worry me. Im hoping when it dries out it will magically resolve?

It is odd. It did occur when driving in the rain. There has been a constant rain for a while here in SO-Cal. So before i drop $$ i want to make sure.

No CELs. No access to pro level scanner yet. And no certain way to diagnosis “concretely” has been found.

Next few days will be dry. Maybe Gremlins will go away.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gremlins maybe gone. Hopefully for good. Reman Dorman TIPM installed. @lfhoward was right. 30 minutes to r/r just because plastic harnesses are feeling brittle after 16 years.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gremlins maybe gone. Hopefully for good. Reman Dorman TIPM installed. @lfhoward was right. 30 minutes to r/r just because plastic harnesses are feeling brittle after 16 years.
Glad to hear it is working as it should now. :)

How much does a remanned TIPM go for these days?

Last edited: