possesed speedometer need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now my speedometer is freaking out. it'll sit at zero and then all the sudden jump around all over the place then back to zero its like it has a mind of its own. When I had the black plastic under the windshield off I took the hoses off my sprayers then forgot to put them back on and sprayed windshield washer fluid all in there. But water can get there anyways. Any advice on that one? Thinking it may be a short in something there. This morning it was working fine for a few miles then started doing it again.. stealership may be getting their money today.. :mad:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My friend's '02 does the same thing every once in a while. But it seems to only do it when it's cold!?

She said it's been working fine (and it was dead on accurate earlier this week, constantly!) since the Spring came around!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now my speedometer is freaking out. it'll sit at zero and then all the sudden jump around all over the place then back to zero its like it has a mind of its own. When I had the black plastic under the windshield off I took the hoses off my sprayers then forgot to put them back on and sprayed windshield washer fluid all in there. But water can get there anyways. Any advice on that one? Thinking it may be a short in something there. This morning it was working fine for a few miles then started doing it again.. stealership may be getting their money today.. :mad:
Check the connector on the rear diff sensor(only wires that go to the top of the rear diff),you may have a partially broken wire.I had the same thing happen and one of the wires was almost broke inside the connector,real pain to find and repair.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Check the connector on the rear diff sensor(only wires that go to the top of the rear diff),you may have a partially broken wire.I had the same thing happen and one of the wires was almost broke inside the connector,real pain to find and repair.

x2 on this. Just replaced the wires going into the plug on top of the rear diff this past weekend. Solved all the problems.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45557

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just replaced whole harness connector today.. spliced wires into the wires coming from the cabin.. worked for a few miles then boom went to shit again.. took the thing off the top of the diff completely and tried to clean it out now it wont work at all... what do you suggest?? sell it and buy an import that doesn't have retardation when it comes to building cars that work properly..??

Boiler

Reaction score
I had a Camaro do this on a very cold day when I was moving to a new small town for a new job. The speedometer would bounce all over the place and I think even went all the way around and was pegged against the wrong side of the zero peg...or another part of the dash, I forget that detail. Eventually it would go back to normal as the car got really warm. It did that every morning during that cold snap. Afterward it went back to normal or so I thought.

So here I am, racing all over town ******** about how slow everyone there drives. I take the interstate to my mom's house about 3 weeks later and had the cruise on 67 in a 55 zone. I got pulled over for doing 80 in a 55....

Long story short, this ain't good on a speedo, even if it seems to go back to normal. Make sure you check the speed with milemarkers and a watch, or better yet, a GPS.

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst thing is my wifes 2002 2wd ltd shift points get goofy with the lockup locking in and out when her speedo starts jumping...her wires are chaffed on top of the diff...i will fix it this weekend......this cant be good for the trans....J