Poor heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lusliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 2003 Liberty that radiator ,hoses ,water pump are new with in 3 months.We are NOT getting good heat. It was done at dealer with complete cooling change and flush . Any ideas ? ..........................

kjx2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 2003 Liberty that radiator ,hoses ,water pump are new with in 3 months.We are NOT getting good heat. It was done at dealer with complete cooling change and flush . Any ideas ? ..........................

No heat or blowermotor not working

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score

First, does the engine get to operating temperature? If the temp gauge gets to the spot it normally gets to, usually around the halfway point, then that would be yes. Next, are both heater hoses hot at the firewall, when the engine is at normal operating temperature, and the blower is on high, and temp is set to max heat? If there is a difference between the hoses, your heatercore is plugged.

Suburbbus

Reaction score
We had the same problem. Changed all of the above items including a new water pump. Ended up biting the bullet and changed out the heater core and it will cook you now. Tons of heat pouring out now.

starrider06

Reaction score
On mine: Engine reaching normal temp, hoses had about a 4-6 degree difference in temp. Very poor heat, next to none on higher fan speeds. Pulled dash to check blend door operation, working okay. Further research on my part shows the blend door problem didn't show up until 2005, and mine's a 2003. Pulled heater core and took it apart. 7 out of the 12 tubes were plugged. Replaced heater core and works okay now.. Not as warm as my 2004 Intrepid police car, but it's at least livable without gloves! This heater core is a poor design, not like any of the cores I've seen in other vehicles. The tubes have little spiral things inside that I assume are to provide turbulence to help extract more heat, but they are also prone to plugging with scale deposits. That is why people who do major cooling system repairs end up with heating problems afterwards, the scale that floats around in the system afterwards plugs the heater core. There is no way you are gonna get it to backflush out.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When u do the dealer Hoat exchange u should also replace the OEM thermostat with another one, to be on the safe side.(every 5 years recommended)
Did they pressure test the system? A small leak or air left in system will cause problems.
I would firstly try to bleed air out by getting the jeep hot & open the bleed screw and see if air bubbles are present with coolant coming out...
Also have extra Hoat and keep an eye on the reservoir levels. I let it sit overnight and checked the cold line over a few AM days. I had to add a bit each day after bleeding.
It was not initially hot, but after a few days it was fine.
51177[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepBleedAirScrew.jpg
    JeepBleedAirScrew.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Telling someone to get their jeep hot and opening the bleed screw might open you to a lawsuit to pay for removing said bleed screw from someone's forehead or burn therapy from the scalding hot erupting coolant...

I don't think I would ever try that.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh ya ..that is a good idea not to remove bleed screw when hot..
However just cracking it a notch will allow the air to escape and a bit of coolant will dribble out...which is ok....
Just went through this recently...had no issues, just had a paper towel wrapped around to absorb coolant.