Pontiac Hood Louvers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This guy apparently makes a living from them:

JEEPS - Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -

This guy has good prices:

Jeep Panels - Rod Louvers and Sheet Metal design

IIRC, the Pontiac louvers actually had drip trays with them just in case you were worried about the rain ruining your sweet engine detailing....LOL

Run Cools are what my buddy has that have issues with rain causing plugs to missfire after raining. Yes he has replaced the coils twice now with Mopar parts.

Yes the GTP louvers had trays, mines somewhere in a corner, did not allow much airflow with them on and not needed at all

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is awesome! :happy107:
I just wish I had the courage to start cutting my own hood up. :superhack:
Hmm..maybe I should practice on someone else's first! :icon_lol: :shakehead:
All I know is that in the summer time, if ya have been wheelin offroad or stuck in traffic in 80F+ temperatures, opening the hood is like getting hit by a blast furnace! :flamingdevil:
I am sure it is much cooler in the engine compartment once the vents are installed!:icon_cool:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is awesome! :happy107:
I just wish I had the courage to start cutting my own hood up. :superhack:
Hmm..maybe I should practice on someone else's first! :icon_lol: :shakehead:
All I know is that in the summer time, if ya have been wheelin offroad or stuck in traffic in 80F+ temperatures, opening the hood is like getting hit by a blast furnace! :flamingdevil:
I am sure it is much cooler in the engine compartment once the vents are installed!:icon_cool:

Courage? Doesn't take courage, ya have to be about half off to start cutting into hoods especially when your Jeep is only a year or so old. On my last XJ it got cut at 3 months I think it was I know it was less than 1000 miles :happy175:
Mark/ drill/ cut/ never look back

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honsetly tho .... i saw a place on that t.v show "truck or whatever it was one of them ... a company was stamping louvers into the hoods on a press.... proy a little more expensive but woud it be better?

p.s. it now seems as if my "l" has joined my "k" stupid broen eyboard.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
honsetly tho .... i saw a place on that t.v show "truck or whatever it was one of them ... a company was stamping louvers into the hoods on a press.... proy a little more expensive but woud it be better?

p.s. it now seems as if my "l" has joined my "k" stupid broen eyboard.

We used to do it alot of them back in the 70s, but you have to cut out the inside structure and just have the skin of the hood to be able to punch louvers in. Quite a job on any car/truck , Jeep . Flatter hoods work best . Old guy down the road had a louver press he made back in the 50s and he taught us how. Wish I knew what happened to his home made press. One at a time, took a while

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to do it alot of them back in the 70s, but you have to cut out the inside structure and just have the skin of the hood to be able to punch louvers in. Quite a job on any car/truck , Jeep . Flatter hoods work best . Old guy down the road had a louver press he made back in the 50s and he taught us how. Wish I knew what happened to his home made press. One at a time, took a while

i' have to oo at the structure under the hood... my hood is not a stoc hood.. i'l report bac .... another thing i was thining is if someone coudl come up with actual measuments from center and such so that we dont get the chance of water on the coi pacs... reading measurements is easier than trial and error for a newer fabricator

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i' have to oo at the structure under the hood... my hood is not a stoc hood.. i'l report bac .... another thing i was thining is if someone coudl come up with actual measuments from center and such so that we dont get the chance of water on the coi pacs... reading measurements is easier than trial and error for a newer fabricator

Not a stock hood? ...........
Measurements are easy, John shoved his back more than I have mine I think, maybe even a little wider. Others I cut on Larrys and Daryls are real close to mine

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
And here all this time I thought the Louver was that joint in France with all the art. :shrug:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Translated for ftaa:

"And here a this time I thought the ouver was that joint in France with a the art. :shrug:

Time for a new eyboard there Bud!

:happy175:

Bert

payday is tommorow ... i have a 9 year od autistic son and he SMASHES the keyboard a day ong ike a boss.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a stock hood? ...........
Measurements are easy, John shoved his back more than I have mine I think, maybe even a little wider. Others I cut on Larrys and Daryls are real close to mine

by not stock i mean it had a sma fender bender and my hood is a repacement ... i know sometimes the aftermarket body parts are a bit different than oem

aso those are great measurements back a bit from your's is realy specific HAHA

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by not stock i mean it had a sma fender bender and my hood is a repacement ... i know sometimes the aftermarket body parts are a bit different than oem

But you might not like where I put mine or might want a bit different or......:shrug::happy175: or maybe the moderators keep editing the measurements out to prevent cloning:shrug::happy175:.......or maybe.....

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you might not like where I put mine or might want a bit different or......:shrug::happy175: or maybe the moderators keep editing the measurements out to prevent cloning:shrug::happy175:.......or maybe.....

not about being a copy cat .. i know *I* can put them wherever and make it ook good .... but a general guide woud be handy jus saying :joke:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Even replacement hoods have the same bracing etc under them, no difference except that they are made cheaper and as not as close tolerances as OEM parts

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I put mine where I wanted them, Larrys were close to mine since he liked the look, Daryls were a bit over since he chose to have them over some.
Those are all great measurements in my book. Also if you look at the underhood bracing you get a better idea of what you have to work with

SO NOW..............that I had to open the door in the laundry room and walk out in the garage , what a job................
from the back edge its 7.5 inches, from the ridge in the hood over to the louver 3 inches
since the louver is not square, measurement from the back is the farthest area to edge of the hood

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even replacement hoods have the same bracing etc under them, no difference except that they are made cheaper and as not as close tolerances as OEM parts

te me about it i been trying to get the gap right front pass fender and hood were replaced. and NOPT the same colour. ****** body man

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine where I wanted them, Larrys were close to mine since he liked the look, Daryls were a bit over since he chose to have them over some.
Those are all great measurements in my book. Also if you look at the underhood bracing you get a better idea of what you have to work with

im trying to be funny :/ im aware of this

NO LAUGHING!
:happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
te me about it i been trying to get the gap right front pass fender and hood were replaced. and NOPT the same colour. ****** body man

I used to co- own a body shop, and would somedays go in to help out, we finally decided not to use anything but OEM parts due to the extra time it took to try and make things fit. Dropped a couple of insurance companies that we had dealt with but thats all they wanted us to use , they didn't care what it looked like. Kid with a hammer and a chunk of metal could bang out a fender that fit better than some of them did .

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy apparently makes a living from them:

JEEPS - Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -Hood Louvers | RunCool | Hood Vents For Your Vehicle -

This guy has good prices:

Jeep Panels - Rod Louvers and Sheet Metal design

IIRC, the Pontiac louvers actually had drip trays with them just in case you were worried about the rain ruining your sweet engine detailing....LOL

That second link has the louvers for almost half the price of Rocky Road, They look identical and one of the "Testimonies" that are posted is exactly the same?

Jeep Liberty hood louver cooling kit, overheat cure

Latest posts

Members online