PLEASE HELP interior LED problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rallycom

Reaction score
Hope someone can help!

I have a 2006 KJ Sport 3.7L, I have added an overhead console (EVIC from an '06 KJ) works great. I moved the stock map light to the rear where the cargo light was and replaced the stock bulbs with 24 LED pads in each side, everything works fine!

The problem comes with the front map/dome lights in the overhead console, they work fine with stock incandescent bulbs (192), when I install LED bulbs the lights will not shut off completely while driving!

They do shut off when the key is removed and the alarm is set.

Do I need to or can I install a separate ground for these lights?

In the grand scheme of things this is not the biggest problem in the world and I could just say screw it and live with the yellowish light from the stock bulbs.............BUT........well y'all know what I mean!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Rich, N2ZKX

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves the lights use the negitive for the console I'd check to see if you're getting a good negitive off the plug in. Negitive should be pin 4 (Black & Light Green) according to my FSM, but my FSM is for an '03. Trace the connection back to the body ground.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People that have added LED's have noticed this problem.. Not much you can do about it besides adding in your own relay to power the lights.

rallycom

Reaction score
Thanks

If memory serves the lights use the negitive for the console I'd check to see if you're getting a good negitive off the plug in. Negitive should be pin 4 (Black & Light Green) according to my FSM, but my FSM is for an '03. Trace the connection back to the body ground.

The light wireing is stock OEM since the EVIC came out of an '06 that harness is seperate from the 4 wire harness I added.
I'm sure it has to do with the BCM not seeing enough load, i forgot to mention that if I put the stock bulbs in the cargo light the front LED's work fine ......it just doesn't like all LED's.

I have the '06 service manual .......I'll pour through it again.

I guess I was hoping for a quick "been there , done that" fix.

Thanks for the quick reply

Rich, N2ZKX

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the LED's you have installed have a built in voltage resister? I think that's what they are called. I don't have a ton of experience with LEDs, but I do know that they normally work off less voltage and if the ground side isn't reading enough voltage you may want to look into adding a capacitor on the ground side. Not sure that will work (I'm by no means an electrical engineer)...

rallycom

Reaction score
Yes

Do the LED's you have installed have a built in voltage resister? I think that's what they are called. I don't have a ton of experience with LEDs, but I do know that they normally work off less voltage and if the ground side isn't reading enough voltage you may want to look into adding a capacitor on the ground side. Not sure that will work (I'm by no means an electrical engineer)...

Yes they are a regular automotive wedge type base designed to operate on 12v (13.8v), I just tried one attached to a battery on my desk.

The bulb has 4 LED's they all light up fine.

I have added LED's for both footwell lights and door lights (total of 96 LED bulbs) without a problem.

I've got to get busy and post some photos

Just completed the roof light bar (4 - 100w xenon bulbs on 2 40 amp relays) added to the 3 - 100w lights on the bumper I can see pretty well at night.

I've also replaced all but the turn signals with LED's, everything has been pretty much "plug'n'play" and works well.

Thanks again

Rich, N2ZKX

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the same issue when I installed the LEDs, but actually like it, its dim enough that it doesn't effect my driving, but now I can kinda see the person next to me.

The problem is that there is always a circuit of power going through, and the LEDs use so little power compared to the factory bulbs that the tiny amount of power circulating through powers the LED bulbs on, just enough to lightly illuminate.

Or at least that's what I have heard.

Last edited:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal for them to stay on like that. I've had mine for about 2 years now and I never notice them being on while driving. I have them as courtesy lights, on each column between the windows, under the hood, some in my tail light housings, and some in my glove box....oh and under the shifter thingamajig PRND12

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A capacitor won't work. They block DC.

All LEDs have a PN junction with in them. The two most common materials are Germaniun and Silicon. A germainiun LED requires a threshold voltage (difference in potential) of 0.3Vdc to cause a reaction. A silicon LED will run on a difference of only 0.7Vdc. If the ground is not efeectively completeing the circuit, there will be a resildual potential (+vdc) on the line and the LEDs will glow. The greater the potential difference, the brighter the emission of light.

It's been years since I took this crap but thats pretty much the basics. You need a really good ground, or a 1/4 watt, 100 ohm resistor to help remove the residual potential from the circuit. the resistor will appear as a load and turn the residual into heat.

Last edited:

rallycom

Reaction score
5.3v

It seems both the map lights and the courtesy lights (foot well) have a standing voltage of 5.3v when turned off, this increases to 13.8v when the lights are switched on.

Thanks for the info

Rich