Please explain to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest: why does the body of the Land Rover Freelander (not the new cr*p version) fit almost identically to the KJ? (I parked beside one today - they're almost the same length and everything!)

Why? Did Jeep copy the design from Land Rover as a historical courtesy (Land Rover copied its design from the Willy's Jeep), or are we experiencing automotive convergent evolution???

I think the Freelander started in 1998, and the KJ in 2002...

maureen58

Reaction score
Actually the Freelander came out in the 2002 model year same as the Liberty. It came out in December 2001 just behind the Liberty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your talking about the new freelanders, they look like poo and I would not believe jeep copied those.. ](*,)

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maureen58 said:
Actually the Freelander came out in the 2002 model year same as the Liberty. It came out in December 2001 just behind the Liberty.

Is it? I seem to remember that it was around 1998 from Land Rover magazines... Might be wrong...

If your talking about the new freelanders, they look like poo and I would not believe jeep copied those.. Brick wall

Definitely! That IS a copy of a Jeep!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was considering a freelander before KJ, but found out that they did not have low gear #-o

They chopped freelander, and made it LR2 (Actually Freelander 2), but it looks like Range Rover Jr. If they got all the offroad capability, they might be back in the game..

With revision of freelander (just about the same time as Liberty) might make those in UK think Chrysler is really copying LR! 8-[

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
maureen58 said:

Is it? I seem to remember that it was around 1998 from Land Rover magazines... Might be wrong...

If your talking about the new freelanders, they look like poo and I would not believe jeep copied those.. Brick wall

Definitely! That IS a copy of a Jeep!

No you're right. We got the Freelander over here in the states a few years after you did over there in the UK.

Latest posts

Members online