OME Sanity Check, Questions and Thinking Out Loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03GoingStrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

2003 KJ Sport in current configuration:

FRONT SUSPENSION: RevTek spacer lift with stock bump stops.
REAR SUSPENSION: Daystar 2" (stock) coil lift, couple of extra isolator pads top of stock coils, OME N132L shocks.
TIRES and WHEELS: P245/70-16 on Rubicon wheels.
EXTRA WEIGHT: Hidden Hitch on both front and rear, skid plates, fuel tank "cage".
HEIGHT: After 17yrs with this setup (except rear shocks are new) ... I'm settled at about 20" front and about 3/4" higher in back.

THOUGHTS: I'm okay with slightly higher in back, in consideration of possible rear end loading in the cargo area from time to time and towing.

Alignment completed last September. Everything looks pretty good except not sure why Camber on the right rear is whack. Apparently it couldn't be adjusted and I have no idea if it can be corrected or what I could do to correct it.

You must be registered for see images attach

THOUGHTS: I'm happy with the alignment except the right rear camber thing. I'm happy with the height and stance of the Jeep, just not happy with the aged and likely worn suspension components. Plus, I'd rather have a spring than a spacer lift.

SOooo I'm in the research phase of what I want to do about the suspension to improve ride and performance. I'm not pressed for any reason to commit as soon as possible and just trying to get my head wrapped around the requirements before I pull the trigger. I don't do much off-roading or belong to any off-roading clubs, so max lift and flex are not a high priority. Not for every day functionality and not for bragging rights LOL.

What I am strongly considering is all OME suspension components and that's what this post is about. From my research and most others have chosen, I currently think maybe a 927/948 OME configuration is the way to go. I would add Tera-flex bump stops front and rather than going with hockey pucks in the rear, I'm thinking of going with Daystar KU09041BK Bump Stop 1-3/8" x 2.5" Diameter in each rear coil.

I'm thinking I can go with the Daystar bump stops on the rear instead of hockey pucks because I've read that OME shocks have internal "bump stops" and the hockey pucks and extra long Tera-flex front stops are honestly to ensure the tires don't come in contact with the wheel wells. Since I'm running 245/70s I THINK the 1 3/8" Daystar stops will be enough. Heck, I might could even get by with stock bump stops on the front ... dunno

SANITY CHECK: Given all the vehicle information above, is a 927/948 OME configuration the best way for me to go? Would 1 3/8" Daystar bump stops on the rear work for me?

OTHER QUESTIONS:

- Does anyone besides RRO ship completely assembled and ready to install coil overs? That would be ideal for me.

- RRO offers a "Front Trim Spacer ... Helps to level out the nose-down stance of the OME suspension." They don't explain exactly what the trim space option is (@ $50 a pair) and I forgot to ask them when I emailed them yesterday (awaiting reply) about the $214 labor option for assembled coil overs and if that was for one assembly or both. Anyway, my forum question here is ... What kind of spacers if any, might I need? ... whether internal to the assembly or not. Is it a given from experience, that I WILL need conduit nuts or clevis spacing with the 927 OME assemblies on the front?

- With a 927/948 OME standard configuration, do I need or should I even ideally install JBA Upper A-arms? Of course I want to stay within the steering geometry for alignment purposes.

- That's all I can think of right now, but reach into your experience bag and tell me what I need to know or be aware of that I'm not asking about.

Thanks guys ( where are you @tommudd ), I know this is a long post and your time to carefully read through, thoughts and considerations are GREATLY appreciated. Thank YOU :)

I know my attention to detail and thought process might could be a little annoying but it's instilled in me as a former Navy Chief, to have as much information and facts as possible before proceeding.

Last edited:

03GoingStrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on the noted horror stories and recommendations I've read about RRO, I don't want to go through them for this project unless I have to. Their shipped assembled option is appealing though and what could they screw up? ... 927/948 is well, 927/948.

But here's the thing ... Saturday, I tried to go through Quadratec to order a pair of Tera-flex bump stops (came to $65 tax and shipping for two) and there were hitches in the gitty-up. Don't know if maybe there is a browser issue (I run Firefox with some add-ons in Linux Mint) or if there was a site problem, but everything came down to Quadratec saying "try again later". I then tried running my browser in safe mode with add-ons disabled and again, "try again later". I couldn't complete the purchase. That turned out to be a blessing because I found two(2) Tera-flex bump stops on e-Bay for $25 for both (plus tax and shipping came to $38) and they should be here by the end of the week. Quadratec doesn't ship assembled coil overs either I don't think ...

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not bragging but I have installed well over 60 KJ lifts with 95% being the OME 927/948 combo
With that said there is no rake at all when using them just the way they are, level front to rear just as God intended them to be from the factory.
Either Bilstein or OME shocks , both ride and handle almost the same
Yes on Teraflex front bumpstops and YES YES on 2 per side HOCKEY PUCKS bolted down to the lower spring perch in the rear
Why hockey pucks, first they are cheap, easy to install, have a wider contact patch for the stock bumpstops to hit etc.
I order my teraflex bumpstops through Teraflex themselves

as far as RRO, if they had free stuff I would not get anything from them

You DO NOT need any spacer in front or rear unless you want to go higher
The 927/948s will give you 2.5 inches over new stock height, or another 1.5 inches in front more that what you have now

That is a start for you ;)

03GoingStrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @tommudd !!! ... your experience and advice is invaluable and I appreciate it.

I guess really the only other unanswered question is JBA arms or not? I know you (and maybe others) have advised that they USUALLY aren't necessary unless going over 3". BUT ... and since this is a sanity check ... in the long or short term and based on your vast experience, do I REALLY need them for optimal alignment or would they just be a nice to have for the configuration I have in mind? The way she sits right now, really settled after 17yrs and at about 20" in the front, that upper ball joint is just about centered up and down. No strain.

ALSO, looking at my last alignment, any idea what might be going on with that wack camber on the right rear?

I haven't heard a peep back from the email I sent RRO on Saturday with some questions, so I'm sure as heck not going to start down that "rocky road" LOL. Do you have a recommendation who to buy OME parts from?

Thanks Tom :)

EDIT: One other thing @tommudd about the hockey pucks. I can't find any video or explanation that I'm looking for concerning hockey pucks ... If I just drill a hole through and mount them with a bolt and nut, the head of the bolt will be sticking up what, about a 1/4" or so proud of the top of the hockey pucks and the upper bump stops will hit that bolt head first. That can't be good for those upper rubber bump stops in the long run, unless there is something I'm missing about the procedure.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
JBA UCAs are not needed until 3 inches or more
BUT
I have seen KJs with 60,000 miles and the UCAs were toast.
Plus the JBAs are a great upgrade and with rebuildable ball joints they do great job, I run them on the 03 and 04
03 with 2.5 inches of lift

Hockey pucks are just that hockey pucks, I buy them by the box fulls, if you need some just pay shipping , I'll help ya out.
the bolt sticking above the hockey puck does not cause any issues , some counter sink them but if you ever need to take them off to replace springs etc they are huge pain in the butt

As far as where to buy, call Heather at ALLJs , www.boulderbars.com
They sell the frankenlift but I'm sure will just sell the springs and or shocks
Heather and her husband own the company and she is a great person , tell her I sent ya

03GoingStrong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom !!! Been many years since I spoke with Heather. Got shocks and bars from them back in the day (maybe other stuff). Good folks. Glad to know they're still doing what they do.

Latest posts

Members online