Picked up an old 2002 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 2002 V6 Auto to use as a hunt camp vehicle. Has over 200,000 on it but motor has around 80,000. I'm pretty decent at working on vehicles so I thought I'd join this site for some help keeping her rolling. She's in pretty good shape besides a little rocker rust and a few odds and ends. Sounds like a broken sway bar link or something else up front, AC needs an occasional recharge, Drivers side view mirror is laying in the back seat and I think I hear a drivers side exhaust manifold leak. Haven't driven it much yet but I'm sure I'll find a lot more wrong with it. Any really common problems with these KJ's I should be looking for at this high of mileage????

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is alot depending.on how it was taken care of most common is ball joints and if you got it from a non jeep dealer change the coolant because it is probably not hoat past that i am a nerd for painting the under carriage to help prevent rust front to back with rustoleum and rust reformer if you need it the trans in the 2002 is a 45 which from what i understand is beefier than other years so make sure it has clean fluid and it should last a long time

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit. Is the mirror busted? I might have a spare driver's mirror laying around.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit. Is the mirror busted? I might have a spare driver's mirror laying around.

Thanks a lot, but the glass itself is not broken. I have not looked at it yet but I know the mirror is separated from the mount. If it can't be repaired I'll probably pick up a cheap assembly on E-bay. Looked like they were around 30 smackers.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the sway bar bushings are shot and this is going to be used primarily as your hunting/camping you could just remove the sway bar.

Exhaust manifold leak could be due to a broken manifold bolt.....happened to my daughters Liberty.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your Jeep?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is alot depending.on how it was taken care of most common is ball joints and if you got it from a non jeep dealer change the coolant because it is probably not hoat past that i am a nerd for painting the under carriage to help prevent rust front to back with rustoleum and rust reformer if you need it the trans in the 2002 is a 45 which from what i understand is beefier than other years so make sure it has clean fluid and it should last a long time

I never have and never will trust ''Khameleon Antifreeze'' just because of all modern vehicles taking their own coolant set up now these days since they come in all colors of the rainbow (even though technically all engine coolants are clear, dye is added to maintain distinction) and then some.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never have and never will trust ''Khameleon Antifreeze'' just because of all modern vehicles taking their own coolant set up now these days since they come in all colors of the rainbow (even though technically all engine coolants are clear, dye is added to maintain distinction) and then some.

Agreed and unless it was a jeep dealer most places and people for that matter will top it off with "universal" antifreeze these radiators ask for HOAT you could run something else but you have to flush out ALL of the HOAT or they react negatively to eachother and rust faster.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the sway bar bushings are shot and this is going to be used primarily as your hunting/camping you could just remove the sway bar.

Exhaust manifold leak could be due to a broken manifold bolt.....happened to my daughters Liberty.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your Jeep?

3 grand. Old 4x4's go for decent bucks here in Michigan.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because it's old, got some cancer, high miles, don't mean you can get by with using anything less than MOPAR brand parts! (at least on this forum) That off brand parts store stuff'll cause it to turn belly up on the side of the road like a dead armadillo!:happy175:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just because it's old, got some cancer, high miles, don't mean you can get by with using anything less than MOPAR brand parts! (at least on this forum) That off brand parts store stuff'll cause it to turn belly up on the side of the road like a dead armadillo!:happy175:

Bob

From experience most who have been on here for a long time know that certain MOPAR parts do last longer, like Radiators for example. Other parts can get by with other brands , just like lifts, certain brands work good on the KJs and KKs and some don't, experience and seeing what actually works the best counts for more than " overall " thinking at times :icon_lol:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 grand. Old 4x4's go for decent bucks here in Michigan.

Anywhere that gets snow they go for decent money i got my jeep 3 years ago she is a 2002 liberty limited had about 115k on it but runs great i paid $5,500 havnt had a problem with her yet and i will be pushing 160k in a few weeks

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4's

Liberty 4x4's in good condition go for $4500 in metro Atlanta. Thankfully these are rust free vehicles.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a crawl under it to examine the engine oil pan, the transmission pan and the rear suspension upper Y link. All three are prone to rusting badly.
Those are areas of concern on my 04 Liberty Sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust free

Have a crawl under it to examine the engine oil pan, the transmission pan and the rear suspension upper Y link. All three are prone to rusting badly.
Those are areas of concern on my 04 Liberty Sport.

These areas are relatively rust free on Georgia Liberty's. Some light surface rust on trans pan and oil pan. Light sanding and new paint make them look new. No rust on upper Y links. Bought a spare with perfect rubber and ball joint off a 108k mile salvage for $20 as a spare for my 176k Libby when she needs it. Guess absence of rust is compensation for the heat penalty we pay in the summer. High 90's today. Thanks for the tip to check in these areas.

Last edited:

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the oil this morning in this 2002 and nothing registered on the dipstick!!! Drained it and only a 1/2 quart came out (not kidding at all)!!!!!! I better add that I was not there to inspect this vehicle when it was purchased for the cabin. She seems to be OK but about 500 miles were put on it with that whole 1/2 qt of oil in her!!!!! Also, power steering pump is almost dry. Yikes!!!!!! Good news is that the trans fluid is at the right level and looks good.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caveat Emptor

Never bought a vehicle without checking the quantity and quality of all fluids. Too dirty or too clean both raised flags. But, al long as you don't lose the oil film and it is not contaminated with abrasive material, you should be ok on the crank bearings. The cams and lash adjusters may have been hurt but perhaps not. I would change out the oil and change it again after several hours on the engine. keep a close watch for oil leaks - one could be serious. Time will tell. As long as the engine runs without knocking, vibrating, smoking, overheating or belching, life is good. Sounds like you dodged the bullet. Close call.

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ agreed....hopefully it wasn't flogged too hard during this time...good luck!

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh half a quart thats like a nightmare i had the other night all the fluids were dry and i was running from a horse was so happy to see the jeep to escape but for some reason before i started to escape i had to check the fluids first pulled the dipsticks and they were dry i woke up after that pretty scary

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never even seen oil that low before and was kinda shocked an engine could even live that long with a half quart of oil. My friends told me that they never saw an engine or oil light come on but I did see it come on after I had disconnected the battery for a while. I disconnected the battery cuz it's to big for the tray and was just sitting in there jumping around!!!! The battery posts had already ripped through the hood insulation!!!! Anyway, it's been out on the two tracks all day and I haven't gotten a call yet to go rescue anyone. Hopefully I got to her in time and she keeps kickin.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never even seen oil that low before and was kinda shocked an engine could even live that long with a half quart of oil. My friends told me that they never saw an engine or oil light come on but I did see it come on after I had disconnected the battery for a while. I disconnected the battery cuz it's to big for the tray and was just sitting in there jumping around!!!! The battery posts had already ripped through the hood insulation!!!! Anyway, it's been out on the two tracks all day and I haven't gotten a call yet to go rescue anyone. Hopefully I got to her in time and she keeps kickin.

You should be good just keep monitoring the oil to make sure its not disappearing too fast as long as you didn't over heat it too bad i once put 5 quarts atf in my engine oil with the 5 quarts that were already in there i thought i was screwed nope still running strong i only had it like that running for 20min but i thought that was it