PCV Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PCV Valve: What is It?

Well some time ago I busted the plastic air tube connecting to the air box. I busted it right at the T portion and was unable to replace it. I just went to the dealership and bought a whole new PCV setup to replace my broken one. I am wondering if this is why I may have seen some nasty gas mileage. The gas mileage has been lowered by over 1MPG, all occurring after the PCV setup was damaged. Could the busted tube be the reason? I looked up what the PCV does and apparently it:

The PCV valve on the other hand or Positive Crankcase Ventilation system functions as the old "dump tube" which removes combustion gases and vapors that may get stuck in the piston rings and crankcase that can cause rust, corrosion and bogs

I am assuming it also mixes the correct gases and removes air pressure or something. Anyways maybe I will see a little more return in my gas mileage.

Last edited:

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For better gas mileage I disconnect the A/C compressor every winter. On newer vehicle the compressor kicks even if you turn the heater on.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For better gas mileage I disconnect the A/C compressor every winter. On newer vehicle the compressor kicks even if you turn the heater on.

I also do this. Its best to kick it on every once in a while to relube the system. Orings and such can dry out and it make start to leak.

Since I do not have the engine driven fan, sometimes I will unplug the compressor then turn the A/C on. It will kick the electric fan on and Keep it on. :D Helps to keep things cooler when offroad.

MacAttack

Reaction score
I also do this. Its best to kick it on every once in a while to relube the system. Orings and such can dry out and it make start to leak.

Since I do not have the engine driven fan, sometimes I will unplug the compressor then turn the A/C on. It will kick the electric fan on and Keep it on. :D Helps to keep things cooler when offroad.
Sounds fun. How do you do it? How do I unplug the compressor? Where is it?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
X2. I didn't even realize that turning the heat on would kick on the compressor as well.
It does. Screw saving that extremely small amount of fuel, it helps defrost and defog the interior so much better and quicker during the winter. I don't have time to sit there waiting for the defogging to happen..... but why when the Jeep can do it for me?

Makes life so much easier.

With that said, I leave mine plugged in. I never calculated or noticed a difference in fuel savings anyway, running A/C.

MacAttack

Reaction score
Where's the general location of that plug? I wouldn't mind being able to keep that fan on full time when off road to keep things as cool as possible.