PCV valve replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to look at my new one a couple times to be able to get the original one out in one piece. It is a bit funky.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Its part of my yearly maintenance too ... it's to cheap to not replace it.

I had that yellow gunk (condensation) at the (oil) filler when I first got her... not any more. :shrug:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh yeah might as well give it a shot. Was just wondering what would happen if I didn't. Cause nothing has happened thus far in 50k miles.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
I own a 2006 Liberty 4x4 3.7L gaser. I looked for my pvc valve and think it is attached to the oil fill tube. Am I right about that? I can't get it off because of a hard plastic retainer that doesn't cooperate.

What's the trick to getting the old pvc valve out? This assuming I have itentified it correctly.

The engine has 55k and I don't know if the pvc is original given we bought the vehicle used. Regardless, the foam block in the air filter compartment was quite oily & very dirty where exposed to the tube so I suspect my pvc needs replacing.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Yes that's it ...look at your new one ...you'll see how it locks in. I believe it's.. push in and rotate counter clockwise. It's been a while though.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the PCV valve and oil filler cap for the first time the other day on my wifes '02. 120,000 miles and never been replaced. Still loose and rattling with no gunk in it, so that's good. Replaced the oil filler cap because the rubber seal was missing so the cap was pretty much just sitting there. Now I've just got to get the exhaust leak fixed and it will be 100% mechanically. A little body work and some minor electrical and the entire thing will be 100%.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2006 Liberty 4x4 3.7L gaser. I looked for my pvc valve and think it is attached to the oil fill tube. Am I right about that? I can't get it off because of a hard plastic retainer that doesn't cooperate.

What's the trick to getting the old pvc valve out? This assuming I have itentified it correctly.

The whole hard plastic thing is the PCV valve. Remove the hose, push the old valve in and rotate away from you then pull out. New one installs the reverse of the old.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
I got the PCV valve out per your instruction. I didn't have a new one on-hand. The old one rattled but seemed a tad gooey inside from dirty oil so I soaked and flushed it in kerosene and it rattles like new so I put it back in. Next time I'm at an auto parts store, I'll buy a new PCV and get it in there.

Thank you all for the help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Truly amazing how many won't change out a very low cost part like a PCV valve to keep their vehicle running better, but will spend 100s and thousands on a worthless sound system.
Testing them to see if they rattle doesn't always work, they still maybe sticking at times.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truly amazing how many won't change out a very low cost part like a PCV valve to keep their vehicle running better, but will spend 100s and thousands on a worthless sound system.
Testing them to see if they rattle doesn't always work, they still maybe sticking at times.

Not to knock you or your knowledge, but truly amazing how I've never seen an answer as to how it affects performance or engine reliability. Personally, I will be changing it soon. But I still would like to know...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple answer
Its part of the system in which the engine breathes
gasses from within the engine have to get out somehow. Used to be you just had a breather on the valve cover to vent gasses
If the engine doesn't vent then it has to go out another way which is not good. Again cheap insurance for a healthy engine

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
I won't take offense to Tom's comment here as I am not sure he meant it for my previous reply. At age 55, I am not into sound systems anyway.

I do plan to replace the PCV valve soon, the next time I pass by an Autozone. I just don't feel it to be critical to be done immediately, especially since I cleaned it well with kerosene.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.