PCV valve replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the PCV valve on a 2002 3.7L replaceable? My local suppliers don't carry it and say it might be a dealer only part. I see it listed at rockauto.com but is it the correct one? I have 58,000 miles on the odometer.

dano104

Reaction score
Can bad things happen if we don't replace the pcv valve?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its about 9 dollars from the dealer and take about 2 minutes to replace. The book say to change it every 30k.

dano104

Reaction score
Awwww it all makes sense now, I didn't know the importance of the PCV valvle untill I looked it up online. The amazing all knowing internet.......

2003KJ

Reaction score
hmmm...this is the first i've heard of having to replace it every 30K. Just turned 31K today....what book are yall reading this out of??

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
hmmm...this is the first i've heard of having to replace it every 30K. Just turned 31K today....what book are yall reading this out of??

Owners manual for my 03

2003KJ

Reaction score
Eddo said:
2003KJ said:

Owners manual for my 03

Interesting.....I thought they lasted longer than 30K though?

dano104

Reaction score
Should I replace my EGR at the same time as my PCV valve?

dano104

Reaction score
Went to replace the PCV valve today, and it had milky white oil in it. Is that normal?

abarkl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is either stuck or I'm not pulling it just the right way. Do they usually pull straight out without releasing anything?

dano104

Reaction score
Yeah you have to rotate it at least 90 degrees in a counterclock motion. It is secured by a camlock.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dano104 said:
Went to replace the PCV valve today, and it had milky white oil in it. Is that normal?

Think so. Mine had it for the first time. I was told it was moisture combining with the oil and finding it's way to the top. Never had the problem until I moved from New Mexico to Ohio. Make sense too because in Ohio it seems to rain almost every day and if it dosen't rain everything is usually still wet.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving an ancient thread here. How necessary is the PCV valve replacement? I haven't done it in the 50k I've had the Jeep.

I have no problem doing it, in fact I'll probably do it soon. But will I see any differences when I replace it? Will it throw a check engine light if it's clogged?

Thanks all! :)

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score

Just condensation. As long as oil in pan/on dipstick looks good no worry. There are some posts about this on here,maybe from the great oil debates of 2010.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's $5 at Autozone and an easily changed part. Worth the piece of mind to change it as scheduled. My 2 bits.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's $5 at Autozone and an easily changed part. Worth the piece of mind to change it as scheduled. My 2 bits.

I got one from Autozone. I was trying to get mine out to check it and it cracked in half. So I HAD to replace it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been checking/changing mine with my pre-winter maintenance every year. I haven't had any of that condensation goop in there lately.

I broke one a couple of years ago taking it out so saved a couple of spares in the garage and never broke one since I have the spares.

Dave