"Pass Airbag off" at the right front of my Liberty is always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pygmaro

Reaction score
The light of "Pass Airbag off" at the right front of my Liberty is always on, I do not know if there is some problem?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do you keep heavy items in your passenger seat? That could be why.

If not, then sounds like there's a fault with the seat sensor. It detects whether underweight people are in the seat and won't fire the airbag if someone under 115lbs or so is sitting there as the airbags and lightweight people don't mix well.

pygmaro

Reaction score
The seat is empty when the light is on. maybe that is the reason. Thanks!!!

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light

The light is supposed to come on when there is something less than 40 pounds in the seat, but not empty. There is an air bladder inside the seat that senses the pressure from the weight.

The is either something wrong with your wiring, or the air bladder.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light is supposed to come on when there is something less than 40 pounds in the seat, but not empty. There is an air bladder inside the seat that senses the pressure from the weight.

The is either something wrong with your wiring, or the air bladder.
Ummmmm,it takes over 100lbs in the passenger seat of the newer KJ's to turn off that light and arm the passenger side airbag,not 40lbs.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine comes on when there is weight in it < 100 lbs. However, it sometimes comes on when the seat is completely empty, but most of the time it is off when the seat is empty. It is always off when normal adults are sitting in the seat.

I think that is normal.

USMCLIBERTY04

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen about a year ago in my 04 Liberty. The light remained on when the seat was empty and also when I had a passenger in it. I read up on the whole system and figured that I had a problem so took it to the dealer and found out that the sensor in the seat belt assembly had went out. Had the seat belt assembly replaced to the tune of $400 which I was not happy about but it needed done since the passenger airbag was essentially disabled and if an accident occured then the airbag would not deploy. Hope this helps you out!

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummmmm,it takes over 100lbs in the passenger seat of the newer KJ's to turn off that light and arm the passenger side airbag,not 40lbs.

My 38 pound dog can set it off. When I was in school my bookbag set it off, I know I wasn't carrying 100 pounds on my back, I also figured it weighed closer to 30 pounds. So I'm guessing the reason mine is going off has more to do with pounds per square inch, as oppsed to total weight. The dog and the bookbag both have smaller footprint than the average human @$$.

The service manual states that it is designed to be triggered by anyone weighing less than a '5th-percentile female'. A '5th-percentile female' is a female that weighs less than 95% of the female population, or someone weighing less than 110 pounds.

When engineering for ergonomics, most companies go by the governments '5th percentile female' and '95th percentile male' standards. This data is collected from military records, the disadvantage of this study is that military personel tend to be taller, and in better shape than the general population. So the data might not be an accurate representation for the public, but the massive amounts of data collected over the years should be offset by the laws of averages. No better study exists.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should NOT be on if NOTHING is in the seat. Mine was coming on when NOTHING was in the seat but only when the inside of the Jeep was cold(<40) and it ended up being a bad sensor in the passenger seat belt(warranty).

I once had a GF that would cause it to come on and off. She was around 110lbs(I like small girls :) ) or so but not all of her weight was in the seat(the floor). Ive also had backpacks and such in the seat that cause the light to come on.

Just remember, if the light is ON the airbag is OFF. If nothing is in the seat, the light should be off which means the airbag will NOT pop. If someone is in the seat and the light is off then it will pop.

Last edited:

WoodysKJ

Reaction score

It says 60 some odd pounds in my owners mannual. My 80 pound lab will set the seat belt alarm off sometimes if he is sitting with his boney *** on the right spot of the seat, otherwise the light stays on and the little red guy on the dash stays off.

krosenberry

Reaction score
The Passenger Air bag light is always off, even when my daughter is in the front seat. Does this mean the air bag will not deploy? She weights 115lb and I've even noticed it off with an adult in the seat. Any help would be great, thank you.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the light isnt on, telling you the air bag is off, then the air bag is on.

If no one is sitting in the seat, then the air bag is automatically off. Simply sitting a heavy bag in the passenger seat will illuminate the light. Try it and see.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my daughter who is 100 lbs sits in the passenger seat the light near the glove box illuminates and say the airbag is NOT on.
Mark

Latest posts

Members online