Painting sport fender flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daring09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be better off trying to find some black limited flares that are already painted or how hard would it be to have the sport ones painted to match the rest of the jeep?

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take it to a shope and get a quote.. IIRC it takes a good deal of proper prep work to get paint to stick to that plastic. I painted mine with a rattle can epoxy paint. its held up ok. but it looks no where near the shiny black ltd ones.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted my Astro van plastic bumpers and trim which are the same type plastic as sport fenders/bumpers. I scrubbed them with detergent and green scrubbing pad, rinsed several times. Let dry, then wipe down with acetone. I then painted used the satin "plastic bumper paint", turn out really well. Lasted the 2 1/2 yrs I had it, still looked good when I sold it.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I painted my Astro van plastic bumpers and trim which are the same type plastic as sport fenders/bumpers. I scrubbed them with detergent and green scrubbing pad, rinsed several times. Let dry, then wipe down with acetone. I then painted used the satin "plastic bumper paint", turn out really well. Lasted the 2 1/2 yrs I had it, still looked good when I sold it.

I think he wants the Shiny deep black like the ltd. to match the rest of his jeep. I used pretty much the same prep minus the scuffing for my epoxy paint job, it looks good just not shiny.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he wants the Shiny deep black like the ltd. to match the rest of his jeep. I used pretty much the same prep minus the scuffing for my epoxy paint job, it looks good just not shiny.

I didn't read it closely, .....yeah, find some ones from a junk yard if ya want the limited painted look.

Savage

Reaction score

ADVICE: If I took these steps to prep my 02 fenders and bumpers. would I need to paint them before I bedlined them? would the bedliner stick well? ( going to do beltline +fenders+bumpers)

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ADVICE: If I took these steps to prep my 02 fenders and bumpers. would I need to paint them before I bedlined them? would the bedliner stick well? ( going to do beltline +fenders+bumpers)

most will say getting the bedliner to stick to the sport plastics takes fully painting them first. and some will say they've gotten it to stick fine. If it were me, I would paint it first(proper Prep and paint) then bedline. or junk pick some painted ones of any color.

daring09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just didn't know if buying the limited ones would be cheaper then having these painted. I don't know if it would take a lot of prep work for the body shop since they are textured. I guess I will stop by and get a quote.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be cheaper to get limited flares and bumpers then try and get bedliner or any paint to stick to the sport stuff and last.

You will get away with painting sport flares for awhile but it will chip/flak off.How long depends on your geographical area.