painting fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
just spratying it on w/o primer would probably work, but the paint wont last too long, it's not gonna stick nicely....
for a longer last, primer it up, spray it a couple of coats, then spray on some clear coat.....

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
is a clear coat required, im not looking for a glossy/shiny look.

not really, but it's just an extra layer of protection. it's not gonna make it that much more glossy.

NJBill

Reaction score
Krylon Fusion is the paint to use. I've seen guys paint plastic parts on dirt bikes with this stuff. It is really good.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an auto body in the family, so what I would tell you is to go to a shop and have someone price it for you. If you want them to look good and last, use a professional. And you do want a clear coat to help protect the paint. If you try and do it yourself, in a few years it may look really bad. It depends if you want your KJ to look like a dirt bike/ trail rig, or a new car? Painting should be left to professionals, IMHO.

P.S. The front of my "deer killer" was repaired/ painted by a professional and it's 98% as it was before the deer. Plus the job will look this good for years (or until the next deer, lol).

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before painting plastic you DEFINITELY need a primer. It's not just any primer either, you need a PLASTIC PRIMER. Look around at your local shop (Auto-zone or whatever) and you'll find it. With the paint on top of the plastic primer, the paint can now flex with the plastic and will resist cracking and flaking much better than without the primer. Clear coat to your hearts content. I always say the more clear coat the better (within reason). If I was doing it, I'd do 2-3 coats of paint (depends on colour and coverage, light colours will require more than dark colours) and a minimum of 3 coats of clear. 7-10 days later I'd be waxing them pretty good and about a month later I'd be using the orbital polisher with a liquid carnuba wax.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your replys, i am going to do this project myself. i will be using rustoleum plastic primer, krylon fusion paint (black) and krylon clear coat. it is really hot out so i think i will wait under it cools down a bit

Tom D

Reaction score
Don't the the high outside temps stop you. In fact, the warmer, the better. Just try to do it when the relative humidity is down low. The higher the temp and lower the humidity ... the quicker & better the paint will cure. Allow at least 48 jours before going back over the top with the clearcoat ... even more if the air is humid. Good luck!

cameoex

Reaction score
From the description of that "Forever Black" product it seems to be more for trim that was previously black and has faded(Like the flares on my old TJ). I am not sure how well it would work or how professional it would look, but my guess is that you would have to re-apply it fairly often to keep the trim looking the way you want. Going with actual paint is the better/more professional looking way to go IMHO.

NJBill

Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
thanks for your replys, i am going to do this project myself. i will be using rustoleum plastic primer, krylon fusion paint (black) and krylon clear coat. it is really hot out so i think i will wait under it cools down a bit

Krylon fusion does not require a primer. It is designed to bond to the plastic and creates a flexible coating. As far as the previous posting about using a professional body shop, I agree. However, you did state you wanted to do it yourself.

[/url]