Painted Fender Flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOTE: I am not looking to bedline. I am basically looking to rattle-can them.

I have an 06 sport, blue... with those hideous grey fenders. I want to paint them black but am not too hip on bedlining them.. Is it possible to paint them to have a glossy finish?

Does anyone have pics they can share of painted fenders?

And I'm looking for instructions on proper painting.. I did paint my rims with a rattle-can paint, and I prepped them very well, but they started to chip through winter, possibly because of our -40 below temps in Alaska? :p

If they will look crappy after a few weeks or months, I'd rather not paint them at all.

Thanks in advance :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Considering you are in Alaska and that the fenders will take some scratches,painting is not the best solution. Plastic with good scuffed prep and primer and paint work just sounds like 2 much work, for chances it will fail. I seriously would bedline them and be done. It actually looks good on KJ.
I may end up bedlining my rockers and painted fenders, once they get scratched up enough. Trails and paint do not mix.

george0029

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure if it's possible, but have you considered buying pained flares?
Like ones from a KJ limited?
You could get them either in your color, or paint them to match.
Try a junkyard or eBay!

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL no, of *course* I didn't think of buying flares... But then again, nobody likes to ship big things to Alaska :(
But I also have grey front and rear bumpers, so I'd have to buy new ones of those D: Didn't think of that. and I don't plan on buying the ARB.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Krylon makes a plastic-specific paint. However, as others have already said in the harsh weather conditions that you experience and the fact that the KJ sport flares are already textured, I would seriously doubt the holding power of the paint.

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Krylon black plastic paint held up fine in the new england winters.

Its all in the prep work I think you will be fine , they salt the hell out of the roads out here and I scrape ice off the truck all winter. no problems.

spray can truck bed liner over the krylon paint no problems yet,

I was in the same boat your in I did not want to have it look like spray paint and it worked out great.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you remove the flares and the bumper covers, or just tape off the factory paint real good when you did the krylon?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you remove the flares and the bumper covers, or just tape off the factory paint real good when you did the krylon?

I need to know too! Well I guess not need, but I want to paint all the plastic on Mr. Darcy to a really dark grey. That seems silly, but with sun damage the plastic is looking pretty nasty and faded unevenly but I don't want to go full black. i think a dark grey (possibly with some VERY slight glitter thrown in there, I'm a girl, not a girlie girl) would look good with the beige.

So I would love to know how everyone is painting their stuff as well! :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way is to get Limited flares,scuff,and bedline with quality bedliner.

9 years and still looking great,cost under $200 to do myself but granted started out with a Limited to begin with.

You must be registered for see images attach

Belt line,flares,F/R bumpers,roof,rack,and gas tank skid all bedlined.

http://www.uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=125&pid=2

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize yours were bedlined.. I guess I had the wrong impression, I thought bedlined looked dull and bumpy like stucco. I was wrong!

zone zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flares

Hey sorry guys&girls , I'll post picks for the prep work I did and , no I did not take everything off the truck, it's all prep-prep-prep! take your time with masking tape and cover most of the jeep I did mine on a cool day outside.
I used gray scotch Brite pads and some rubbing alcohol to clean and scuff the plastic and paint, let it dry, wiped it down with an old t-shirt then sprade 4 light coats letting them dry for 5 mins before doing the next coat . I'll get the name of the Bed liner spray I used too, it has a rubber finish in it but it feels like high grit sand paper.

george0029

Reaction score
LOL no, of *course* I didn't think of buying flares... But then again, nobody likes to ship big things to Alaska :(
But I also have grey front and rear bumpers, so I'd have to buy new ones of those D: Didn't think of that. and I don't plan on buying the ARB.

Ahhhh yeah I totally forgot about the bumpers too!
And there's no way you'd be able to find a full set of flares and bumpers in a junkyard that aren't destroyed.
Guess paint is probably your best option...

jgrasham

Reaction score
I found some adhesion promoter that you spray onto plastic to paint it. Would this work instead of painting my sport flares first? Thanks!

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which brand of adhesion promoter have you guys had good results with? Im interested in painting mine as well.