P1265 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driftless

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have to say I am glad I don't have to post here and ask questions often. Our little Liberty (2005 -138000 Miles) has been a great little vehicle. Just yesterday however the MIL came on and I read the code as a - P1265 Chrysler Glow Plug 3 Control Circuit Low.

What does this mean? Bad glow plug? Bad circuit? Wiring harness?

I was kind of shocked at the price of glow plugs when compared to our VW TDI. I haven't really started shopping but the first place I looked they were almost $400 for a set of four. Can you say sticker shock? I just bought glow plugs for the VW at $5 each.

I won't be too surprised if the plugs are at the end of their reasonable useful life, and will pay the price as we need the vehicle to start during Wisconsin winters. If it is something else I don't want to throw $400 at the rig to find out the hard way... BTDT.

Thanks in advance!

Tad

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have to say I am glad I don't have to post here and ask questions often. Our little Liberty (2005 -138000 Miles) has been a great little vehicle. Just yesterday however the MIL came on and I read the code as a - P1265 Chrysler Glow Plug 3 Control Circuit Low.

What does this mean? Bad glow plug? Bad circuit? Wiring harness?

I was kind of shocked at the price of glow plugs when compared to our VW TDI. I haven't really started shopping but the first place I looked they were almost $400 for a set of four. Can you say sticker shock? I just bought glow plugs for the VW at $5 each.

I won't be too surprised if the plugs are at the end of their reasonable useful life, and will pay the price as we need the vehicle to start during Wisconsin winters. If it is something else I don't want to throw $400 at the rig to find out the hard way... BTDT.

Thanks in advance!

Tad

Best to go to the CRD section "Love the Torque" at:LOST JEEPS • Index page

Also go to the CRD Tech only section on Lost.

Glow plugs are covered in great detail there and a lot of users are using metal glow plugs from the Italian firm Etecno with good results...you need to check whether you have 7 volt or the newer 5 volt glow plugs fitted so you can replace with the correct one...changing from 7 volt to 5 volt plugs all round means replacing the controller for the plugs with a different one and getting the dealers to re-program the new 5 volt plugs before connecting them up electrically....so the ideal is to replace the plug...or all 4 of them...with the correct voltage; Etechono make both 5 and 7 volt plugs!

Last edited:

Mopars-Only

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glowplugs are available in Europe, the same 7V glowplugs the Jeep uses. I purchased one from Italy a year or so ago, still going strong. Bosch no longer makes the glowplug originally supplied by Jeep, but it is easily available aftermarket. I paid less than $25 delivered for the one I got.
Jeff