Outer Banks Fishing Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SinewStew

Reaction score
Will Bilstein 4600s work with OME 1.5 inch lift springs? I can't find OME springs with 0" lift. By the way, I don't think I can actually install these myself. Any pointers would be appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Will Bilstein 4600s work with OME 1.5 inch lift springs? I can't find OME springs with 0" lift. By the way, I don't think I can actually install these myself. Any pointers would be appreciated.

OME springs provide more than 1.5 inches of lift , that is for insurance purposes in Australia , There isn't any " zero " lift springs
Lifts are easy to install if you have any mechanical knowledge at all and can follow some simple directions

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 925 and 947 combo will give you minimal lift and decent ride. Its not the prefered route but your choice.

for fronts it will not be the 4600 series.

Essex Distributors - Bilstein Shock Absorbers
Heavy Duty Series (BE5-D916-H0) Front (24-139168)

Same shocks up front for all KJ's lifted or non. If your ordering from JBA then the bilsteins will be the correct ones and have the above part number.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course no Outer Banks conversion is complete without the the PVC tubes mounted to your front bumper to hold the fishing poles in the surf. I used to be a FedEx courier out there and all over eastern NC are 4x4's with a series of tubes mounted up front. Took me awhile to figure out what they were for.

Last edited:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I'm in Ohio, but have been to OBX a few times. Did 55 miles one day up North in the "horse area".

I have OME springs and shocks and Yokohama tires. Ran the tires at 18 lbs and it was like a tank. I have tons of off road experience in various vehicles going back to a 74 Bronco, but very little sand. I was actually surprised how well this combo did.

Springs & shocks are great on the road, OME shocks do get stiff when below 20 and real stiff below 0, but most do.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course no Outer Banks conversion is complete without the the PVC tubes mounted to your front bumper to hold the fishing poles in the surf. I used to be a FedEx courier out there and all over eastern NC are 4x4's with a series of tubes mounted up front. Took me awhile to figure out what they were for.

And if you cut them the right lengths they can make a beautiful train whistle sound at speed!

SinewStew

Reaction score
Luckily for me the outer banks are on my doorstep. The horse area is Corolla. The road ends there but the beach driving goes for many miles north until you reach Virginia.