Ordered jeepinbyal 6" lift: 33 tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps. Honduras here. This is my first post to the board and I have a question about tire width for my recent jeepinbyal 6" lift for my '02 KJ.

Is it possible to run with a 33-12.50 tire set with a 4" offset and be able to avoid the dreaded tire rubbing? I think it may be possible with some slight modifications, but I am curious to know if anyone here can offer some insight or personal experience with the concern.

My '02 KJ is stock right now. I have purchased the following accessories (not installed):

ARB Bull Bar
Rock Lizard Komodo Dragon HD rear bumper
Rock Lizard Super Sliders
Rock Lizard basket rack.
Jeepinbyal 6" lift
4 Hella 100w floodlights
2 Light force 100w spot lights

It's a big project with many other options to come! :)

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you spent the same amount on the accessories as you did on the jeep itself. You also should consider re gearing, and putting at least true-tracs in to save your axles from snapping or grenading the aluminum front diff.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You maybe able to fit them but you won't be able to turn them over.
You'll need to regear and the problem starts that 4.10s is the lowest you can go in the front diff. 4.10s are marginal for 32s let alone 33s
If you're going that far get the stell front diff from JBA as well and 4.56s front and rear
Plus 33s is pushing it with the D30a front diff

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You maybe able to fit them but you won't be able to turn them over.
You'll need to regear and the problem starts that 4.10s is the lowest you can go in the front diff. 4.10s are marginal for 32s let alone 33s
If you're going that far get the stell front diff from JBA as well and 4.56s front and rear
Plus 33s is pushing it with the D30a front diff

I ended up regearing to 4.56 front/rear. I'll post some shots once everything is complete (waiting on the tires).

In the meantime, here's a video of the mechanic beating the crap out of my pinch welds.

Jeep Liberty pinch welds: beat the crap outta them - YouTube

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...to save another debate about gearing..I was at least wondering at what point the front diff would be the weak point with tire size.

On another note, I had 4.10 gears with 33" tires on a 2000 Ford Ranger (4.0L V6 160HP, 210ft/lb torque) and could power brake them puppies all day long. I took a BMW M3 convertible from a stop light with same vehicle, same tires. He tried to pull into the merge lane and get around me. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. 4.10's would be fine for everyday driving, but I will agree that if you're crawlin', you might not be too happy with them.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go above 33s even with the steel diff
you can go to the lower gears but you still have the CVs to deal with and its still a 30

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
And whatever you do purchase either OEM Half shafts (CV Axles)
or JBA, J.E.Reel Half shafts.
IMO The NAPA RE-MAN Half Shafts which we bought are Total garbage. Especially with anything over 2.5 inches of lift!
Also, going from 32's to 33's only gets you half an inch extra height from the tires and
depending on the tire selected isn't all that much wider...

Last edited:

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any idea how something like this could happen?

I recently upgraded my front/rear differentials from stock to a Yukon 4.56 due to the increased weight and tire size of my '02 KJ (I didn't do the work myself). Immediately I noticed a grinding noise that appeared to be originating from the rear drive shaft, so I brought it to the attention of the mechanic who was performing the work, to which it was dismissed as the need for new lower ball joints and tie rod ends. Me, being horribly uninformed about mechanical workings and going against my better judgement, decided that what he was saying makes sense (just not in this universe).

Fast forward two more days; the sound has gotten progressively louder and the vehicle is starting to vibrate when I press the accelerator. I drive it straight to the mechanic to inform him that something is definitely wrong and that he needs to stop what he's doing and look into the issue. He jacks the car up on the axles and throws it in 4-wheel drive. My rear differential sounds like a coffee grinder, so he removes the rear diff cover and this thick, metallic paste oozes out revealing chipped teeth all around the ring.

Here are some shots. What do you guys think? The mechanic says that he has no idea how this happened or what could may have caused it.

3307-photo-2.jpg

3306-photo-1.jpg

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is he the one who installed the gears ?

Yes. Let me also add that he is THE transmission guy here in Comayagua. Everyone recommends and goes to him for transmission issues. He will make good on reimbursing me for the cost of the part.

Bad gear setup.Hope the ARB is okay,it will require a look through to make sure.

That would be my guess, as well. Fortunately the ARB was never engaged other than to verify that it was operational.

What would he have to have done during the installation to completely wreck the rear diff?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope the ARB is ok.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.