Ordered front lift, now questions for the rear..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered Ironman front springs (got the HD ones) shocks, top plate spacers, and bumpstops. Here's my dilemma: I received the KJ Rough Country lift as a father's day gift, and instead of totally discarding it, I was going to use the rear coils and shocks.

Now, if it ends up being total crap, I'll get the Ironman rear springs and shocks to match.

So, I guess my question here is, is the mismatched lift going to be horrendous?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear of the rough country lift is a big spacer which means you keeping the same tired rear springs and pounding them to their death till they stack up. Will still ride like a goat towing a shopping cart.

Might work short term but you would be much better off selling the kit whole to somebody that doesn't know the difference and buying your ironman/ome springs and new shocks and be done.

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I received coils and shocks for the rear from RC. The front lift they offer is just aluminum spacers, though. Another concern is that the RC lift advertises a gain of 3.5 inches while the Ironman is listed as 2.5.. I imagine that with my worn out suspension I'll get quite a bit more than that, especially since I ordered the heavy load range springs.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should still get the same amount of lift from the HD's, versus non HD's. I'm running OME, but the lift should be about the same. I have the 927's, 1/4" top plate and a 2 ring clevis spacer up front and I'm at 22" hub to fender. That's about 2.75-3" of lift above factory height. With your set up, without any clevis spacers, you should be around 21.5", or about 2.25-2.5" of lift. If you get a true 3.5" lift with your rear springs you're going to have a 1" rake.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, yeah, I got the above. I'm still not decided on tire size.. whether I want 245's, or to get 265's and eventually regear. I do like the stuffed look, and this is a DD Jeep.. eh, we shall see. I'll most likely end up just selling the whole thing and go with Ironman all around though.

Last edited:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your set up, 265's will rub like crazy and you'll hate the power/fuel economy loss.

I went with 245's and the power loss is very noticeable. Not crippling, but noticeable. I also went from 18 mpg to about 16 mpg (with a moderately light foot). I also get slight rubbing at full lock turning. 265's would rub a lot more

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from someone who just went through hell with a rough country lift. Dont do it......! Spacers killed my front end *********. .. and went through 3 sets of replacement coils that they shipped me. First set sagged about 2 months after installing and then second set had one that sagged and third set didnt even go on just decided to bite the bullet and spring for ome to match the front. Didnt want to keep replacing these things. I just hope the ome coils hold up better then the rc.

Dont get me wrong not bashing rough country I ran one of their lifts on my xj for like 3+ years with no issues.. also had a set of sliders and diff guards from them that held up just fine. They do have good customer service and stand behind their products just need a bit more research on the kn.

Last edited:

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm more than likely going to go with 245's, I drive about 75 miles a day as it is, so I need driveability. I'm just hoping they won't look too small.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 245's on mine and they look just fine to me. You will notice a loss compared to the stock size. I plan on re-gearing later to get back what I lost and then some.:icon_twisted:

Members online