Opinions about my next upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm ready to pull the trigger on an ARB front bumper, then I'll be "done" ( well, then a winch, on-board air, rear locker...so almost done ha!) However a little voice in my head is telling me to save the $$ because I'm at 135K on the original motor and transmission which may need replacing soon. So far its running OK for its age and the ****** seems fine as well. With the $ i've spent to date I pretty much am committed to a new drivetrain when needed but just trying to avoid Murphy's law

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would talk to 4x4kyak i think thats his name he makes bumpers compared to arb its dirt cheap and looking great. As for your motor and trans i am at 160k original motor and trans but i got the 45 trans. If they are running good and you are maintaining them with regular maintenance they should last a while longer. Unless you are beating them to shit i dont see a reason they would up and fail. But for me if i had that kind of money to spend it would have taken months to save up and i couldnt justify spending it on a bumper. If your well off and it only took a month or two to get this money then your golden. If it took 6 months i wouldn't.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy 4x4kayak2112 talk to him. I could justify spending at his prices.

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm ready to pull the trigger on an ARB front bumper, then I'll be "done" ( well, then a winch, on-board air, rear locker...so almost done ha!) However a little voice in my head is telling me to save the $$ because I'm at 135K on the original motor and transmission which may need replacing soon. So far its running OK for its age and the ****** seems fine as well. With the $ i've spent to date I pretty much am committed to a new drivetrain when needed but just trying to avoid Murphy's law

Parker fabrications has some nice bumpers Tom Mudd also has a rear bumper and it's very nice too.. I too jumped and bought an ARB. High on price, heavy and big and stick out far.. I would look at buying used or look at Mr. Parkers bumpers if you are in no hurry.My KJ is only a toy and gets driven very little. Your money, your choice.

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parker fabrications has some nice bumpers. I too jumped and bought an ARB. High on price, heavy and big and stick out far.. I would look at buying used or look at Mr. Parkers bumpers if you are in no hurry.My KJ is only a toy and gets driven very little. Your money, your choice.

Holy crap and they make a rear one too?!

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the look of arb but i just couldnt spend that much. It is cool they make them to color match i think that is why i like the look. Its like a beefy stock look.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miles...

My '03 3.7l has 178k on it and runs fine. I replaced the 42RLE trans at 173k due to failure of the torque converter clutch. The trans was fine except for the torque converter. So 137k miles is not excessive if you keep up maintenance. I have replaced the water pump and accessory belt as preventive maintenance in addition to all fluids changed per schedule.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are you saying go for the gusto arb all the way???

Hell Yea! I did! :happy175:

I also replaced my engine (original only lasted 130K but the previous owner SUCKED at preventative maintenance.) Smitty, if you're reasonably mechanically inclined an engine swap in the KJ is not difficult. I found a very low mileage donor engine for $1000 - and with gaskets, assorted pieces/parts I did the swap for around $1400. Which is basically an ARB and a winch.

You strike me as one who takes care of his Jeep - so unless you're hearing funny tapping noises or the trans is shifting weird I'd go for the bumper (ARB or otherwise.) I know Rev. Mudd drives his KJ - and I mean DRIVES his KJ - and it's over 200,000 with a lot of extra weight to move around. Lots of others on here with similar miles (I'm at 186,000+ on mine with 55,000 now on this engine) and I plan to run it till the body falls apart. As easy as an engine swap is I'll do it again if I have to :waytogo:

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not a bad price at all i have seen the arb go for nearly double

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I have a front pinion seal leak to deal with first but I think i'm going to go with the ARB.