Once a die hard fan of BFG rubber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
What's with the sudden trend...

What size tire did you get?
I am assuming that you are at stock ride hight ,correct?

the rub you are getting is 99% from the back spacing on the rim
while I under stand the look cool to some but this is the type of rubbing that they will cause you may also get rubbing if you fully stuff the rear

I am 50/50 on how they look I just don't know
I do know they look 10X better on a sport than a limited or a renny
The thing is I can not bring my self to like them knowing that they will force me to run a smaller tire size

I am glad you like them that is what really counts

Those Soft 8's look really good on your Sport sevenhelmet!
Contrast nicely with the colour of your KJ and the tone of grey of the bumpers and fender flares.

I agree though that they don't look as good on a LTD. or Renny!

But why the sudden like and popularity of Cragar Soft 8's?
It's turned into one trendy wheel!
Makes me want to find some obscure wheel that isn't popular yet or is just ugly to the masses! :)

Ry'

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think people buy them because they are pretty cheap $52.99 at Quadratec. I personally prefer these in Chrome or Silver.

The price is definetly one of the reasons I was considering buying them, I almost did until I found a deal on the MOABs I bought.

-Ryan

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
The price is definetly one of the reasons I was considering buying them, I almost did until I found a deal on the MOABs I bought.

-Ryan

$52.99 a piece is hard to beat for a new rim.
It is a nice wheel, just too many KJ's wearing them these days!
But what J-Thompson said about them being the limiting factor as to having to run smaller size tires... Good point.

(Cheers)
Ry'

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2
had a guy on the trail get a dead stick through the tread on a 35" tall BFG MT
kinda piss poor when I think about all the guys who run around with Remmington Mud Brutes and Master Craft MT's that has never had this happen ,I have also come across more than a few with side wall holes but that will happen to most any "softer" tire

If you want to go off road then in one way or another you need to pay for it
buy good tires that ride good ,MTR's or STT's and simply pay more up front
buy cheep tires ,about 1/2 the cost of the above, like the Mud Brutes or the Master Craft's and plan on getting holes in them and know that you can buy 10 for the price of 5 good tires and hope to get lucky and pull 30K+ out of them before you buy 10
buy any AT and have lots of issues ,holes and stucks
or just give up ride and buy Bias Ply Swampers I have yet to see a stick go through a Bias ply swamper and have seen maybe 1 or 2 cut out in the rocks

just remember you get what you pay for in any thing you buy
I hear that,I have never had any flats or puntures when I ran MT/R's,never.I also have very good luck with Interco's TSL's and Boggers.It takes alot to cut a bais ply TSL or Bogger,can't balance them but dang they are tough.Ride is nothing to me,just wish the Boggers would last more then 10,000miles on pavement,I'd be happy with 20,000miles though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$52.99 a piece is hard to beat for a new rim.
It is a nice wheel, just too many KJ's wearing them these days!
But what J-Thompson said about them being the limiting factor as to having to run smaller size tires... Good point.

(Cheers)
Ry'
You can get them cheaper then $53,I got mine from discount tires for less then $50 apiece(16x7),I also got some 15x8's for $38 apiece from discount tires.You can't beat the strenght of a good steel rim when offroad.

Oh and by the way Unique Steel wheels makes all those style steel wheels,Crager,American Racing,and proComp just rename them and jack the price up.The Sodt 8 style rims are seris 297 from unique steel,they make the "D" window steel wheels also and the "fake" beadlock steel rims.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
What about re-tread tires?
Any good makes models available in North America?
I could of sworn I remember a really awesome series of retread 4X4 tires, but the name of both company and models seems to of escaped me.
To much naturally "grown" herbal medicine as of late! :D

(Cheers)
Ry'

Green Diamond comes to mind

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, guys- I'm really happy with how the new wheels turned out.

As for the smaller tire size limitation, it's fine with me- I don't off road enough to make bigger tires or MTs worth it. 235/70/16 tires are a good fit for my KJ.

x2 on the retreads. It's like playing Russian roulette- you don't know if they'll fall apart or not. As someone already said, you get what you pay for.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you guys as far as re-tards are concerned.
Just look at 18 wheelers!
Nuff said.
Reason I asked was that a few of my Dutch friends were inquiring cause they can get clones in the Netherlands for much cheaper than a real name brand version.
Not like there is any off roading to do in Holland! More just for show off and tell tall tales! :D If y'all know what I mean!
In fact, Tony CRD showed a few and said something to the fact that they were pretty good for what you pay for them. I don't know if he has ever used them mind you.

I always placed re-tread tires in the same category as used condoms...
Real trust worthy. :D

ry'

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retreads are just plain dangerous,I've seen to many blow-outs and tread seperations and wouldn't run them if that was all they made.

Agree....I had one come apart (tread seperated) at 70 on the interstate a few years back. Good thing it was on the back. It's a good way to "brown up" your underware. Don't buy retreads.

Dave

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree....I had one come apart (tread seperated) at 70 on the interstate a few years back. Good thing it was on the back. It's a good way to "brown up" your underware. Don't buy retreads.
Had something similar happen to me years back - I was running downhill on a two-lane at around 70++ and started getting a vibration coming out of the back end. Got to the on-ramp for the interstate and it was really noticeable, pulled over to check it out. Got to looking at the drivers rear tire and it had a HUGE bubble on the edge of the tread which finally burst and the tire went flat. That was the last time I ever bought re-treads.

Out here in rocky AZ a lot of the folks tend toward the Goodyear Wranglers. I haven't tried them yet due to budget concerns but someday I'll get a decent AT/MT style to run...

Last edited: