Once a die hard fan of BFG rubber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've run BF Goodridge All-Terrain T/A KO and Mud-Terrain T/A KM on more than a few 4X4 over the last 17+ years with great results.
I started asking around the 4X4 fraternity lately, old friends/ colleagues, and the general consensus is that they have gone down hill and that they are not what they used to be!
Many people complain about punctures in both the tread face and side wall.
In fact many people have mentioned this fact. Here on this site as well.
Wonder why?
I mean, folks still say really good things about them but the same people are saying better things about other "Off road" tires on the market.

So, at the end of the day I am looking at these models of tires to choose from. And not in this particular order either!

Still have a soft spot for BFGoodridge Mud-Terrain T/A KM 245-75-16
Good year Wrangler MT/R 245-75-16
Firestone Destination M/T 245-75-16**
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo**
Dayton Timberline MT 245-75-16*
Discoverer STT*
Discoverer S/T-C*

* I don't know too much about these tires but they do seem to be inexpensive. And the old saying "You get what you pay for" must mean something here. So, for all the people here that use these tires, let me know what you honestly think of them. And not some made up over glorified responce because you ended up buying them and really don't care for them!

** These tires allot of people swear by them but again I am not to familiar to them. Especially the Bridgestone Revo. It just doesn't come accross as a serious 4X4 tire! They look, well, all season radial like!

I don't think that I am really going to waste/spend our hard earned money on the BFGoodridge Mud-Terrain T/A KM. I am starting to believe what I am hearing from you folks here and from old friends/ colleagues alike.
It looks like Jen and I are going to splurge on a set of GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 245-75-16. Actually Jennifers first choice.
I guess she can't wait to hit all those super bumpy trails! :D

Better than a set of Ben Wa Balls!
And we'll get many more miles outa 'em! :D

So... Now I'm gonna start thinkin' lift kits!

(Cheers)

Ry'

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I love my new Maxxis Big Horns but I can't blame you for choosing MT/R's. The Firestone M/T's look good too. (Daytons are a cheaper version.) A co-worker has the STT's I will ask about them tomorrow. I used to like the A/T's until I got my M/T's. I do love the ride quality of them A/T's; however, fork the A/T's unless you never go off road. Revo and ST are both A/T's In my opinion take the 2 A/T's off your list and any of those tires or Maxxis Big Horns are good tires. Oh and I love the ride from these EMU springs too. Get a lift with these. Oh and not better than, better with. Good old Ben Wa Kenobi.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I love my new Maxxis Big Horns but I can't blame you for choosing MT/R's. The Firestone M/T's look good too. (Daytons are a cheaper version.) A co-worker has the STT's I will ask about them tomorrow. I used to like the A/T's until I got my M/T's. I do love the ride quality of them A/T's; however, fork the A/T's unless you never go off road. Revo and ST are both A/T's In my opinion take the 2 A/T's off your list and any of those tires or Maxxis Big Horns are good tires. Oh and I love the ride from these EMU springs too. Get a lift with these. Oh and not better than, better with. Good old Ben Wa Kenobi.

Aw man... I can't believe I actually forgot to mention those Maxxis Big Horns tires!
They were supposed to make it on the list as well!

Must be Kenobi! :D

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on a great deal of research, I'm buying a set of Revos for my KJ this weekend. You probably do more off road than I do (so I doubt they're your tire), but I can let you know how it goes.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you dont go BFG, I have buddies who also enjoy and get good results with the firstone destination's. also the cooper seems to hold up nicely as well.

I just don't personally see the downside of BFG's but am willing to admit some people have had issues, but so has every tire. bottom line for me is that if I can get the BFG's at a nice price point, I still put my money towards them.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
if you don't go BFG, I have buddies who also enjoy and get good results with the Firestone destination's. also the cooper seems to hold up nicely as well.

I just don't personally see the downside of BFG's but am willing to admit some people have had issues, but so has every tire. bottom line for me is that if I can get the BFG's at a nice price point, I still put my money towards them.

I couldn't agree more with you. I used them for years with a mutant Ford F350 (Actually a conglomeration of Ford parts spanning easily ten years of different F350 parts built into one psycho creature vehicle with manual steering and breaks! Tell ya a real "Armstrong" unit-Literally,

I must say that back then we never had any real problems with BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM primarily and a set of BFG All-Terrain T/A KO. Mind you I have no idea what size tires they were anymore!
But those tires did kick a$$ (remember now... were not allowed to use two letters "S" after the letter "A" A joke really!)

You could throw mud gumbo three too four feet deep (easily) at this truck and it would just moan on it like there was nothing there. Mind you, it is also due to the fact that this rig had a well tuned 390 c.i.d. under the hood and a killer four speed manual ****** with an insanely low first gear and a nine inch rear with some equally low gear! :D

Used to go cross five foot deep water crossings in this thing and we'd be totally dry inside!

But yeah, the BFG's were (are still?) killer tires. Now with all this reminiscing about them I guess I'm not going to rule them out after all!

(Cheers)

Ryan

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SilentArmors

I've used BFG All Terrain TA/KO's for years on various vehicles. When my Jeep was due for tires, I decided to go with a set of Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors. They're the quietest tire I've ever used and they getter better traction in the snow than the BFG's ever did. I liked them so much I put them on my work truck as well.

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cooper stt some off the best tire i have ever run there better then the bfg

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the Cooper STTs on my old F250. They wore real well for inexpensive tires. They have pulled me though some real slick wet snot clay at the deer lease when it did nothing bt rain. I want to get them when the hiway tread on the 05 Libby are worn wnough or even get a set of inexpensive steel wheels to mount them on for the deer lease.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Socks....I have used the BFG A/T tires on several different trucks and had very good luck with them.

I have not used the new BFG's A/T K O lately though so I do not know if the new ones are as good or not.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG just plain *****,I went through a bunch of AT's and MT's in less then 6 months due to there weak sidewall,none had over 50 miles on them and only saw mud on my '84 Blazer.There is only one tire that BFG makes that is even worth a darn,the Krawlers but those are pretty much obsolete now since Maxxis came out with the compitition Creepy Crawlers.

The new BFG KM2's are a really big joke,they can't give them away here in CO,they suck that bad.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my way right now to get my Soft 8s put on my Jeep along with Revos. :D Stand by for pictures and reviews.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG just plain *****,I went through a bunch of AT's and MT's in less then 6 months due to there weak sidewall,none had over 50 miles on them and only saw mud on my '84 Blazer.There is only one tire that BFG makes that is even worth a darn,the Krawlers but those are pretty much obsolete now since Maxxis came out with the compitition Creepy Crawlers.

The new BFG KM2's are a really big joke,they can't give them away here in CO,they suck that bad.

X2
had a guy on the trail get a dead stick through the tread on a 35" tall BFG MT
kinda piss poor when I think about all the guys who run around with Remmington Mud Brutes and Master Craft MT's that has never had this happen ,I have also come across more than a few with side wall holes but that will happen to most any "softer" tire

If you want to go off road then in one way or another you need to pay for it
buy good tires that ride good ,MTR's or STT's and simply pay more up front
buy cheep tires ,about 1/2 the cost of the above, like the Mud Brutes or the Master Craft's and plan on getting holes in them and know that you can buy 10 for the price of 5 good tires and hope to get lucky and pull 30K+ out of them before you buy 10
buy any AT and have lots of issues ,holes and stucks
or just give up ride and buy Bias Ply Swampers I have yet to see a stick go through a Bias ply swamper and have seen maybe 1 or 2 cut out in the rocks

just remember you get what you pay for in any thing you buy

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG puncture

I was driving 60 mph down a country road and hit a rabbit. It's rib (or some other bone) punctured my front tire. It was easily plugged. Weird.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As promised...

BEFORE:
You must be registered for see images attach

AFTER
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm really happy with the look! :D Drove around town a little bit, running errands with my wife- it drives nice... Can't wait to try it out on something other than dry paved roads. My only issue so far has been *slight* rubbing below the fog light doors if I hold it in full lock.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really happy with the look! :D Drove around town a little bit, running errands with my wife- it drives nice... Can't wait to try it out on something other than dry paved roads. My only issue so far has been *slight* rubbing below the fog light doors if I hold it in full lock.

What size tire did you get?
I am assuming that you are at stock ride hight ,correct?

the rub you are getting is 99% from the back spacing on the rim
while I under stand the look cool to some but this is the type of rubbing that they will cause you may also get rubbing if you fully stuff the rear

I am 50/50 on how they look I just dont know
I do know they look 10X better on a sport than a limited or a renny
The thing is I can not bring my self to like them knowing that they will force me to run a smaller tire size

I am glad you like them that is what really counts

Latest posts

Members online