Omg...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Haven't checked in here in a while. I just thought I'd share a little story with you all...

I was invited to join some off-road enthusiasts I know on a run of the "Lockwood Creek/Miller Jeep Trail" in the local southern California mountains. I have a completely stock 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade.

These guys all had built-to-the-hilt 4X4's (various brands) and only two of them had run the trail before, and recalled it being "pretty easy." Well, that may be the case for their much-modified vehicles, but I'm in a stock Liberty with "semi-all-terrain" tires. Worse yet, this is my daily driver.

Long story short, and to their (and my, and several on-lookers) astonishment, I actually did it! And with only slight body damage as a result! (At least that I've found so far...) Really, the only damage was to the stock Jeep rock rails, and a few frame dings.

If you're not familiar with this trail, here's one of many links:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/jeeps/jeepmiller.php

This trail is quite serious - especially for a stock vehicle. But my Libby didn't let me down! I am really impressed with the capabilities of this thing! (So were they!)

It was a lot of fun, and I think I've been bitten by the bug...

That said, as well as my stock vehicle performed, it was a nerve-racking day, as I bottomed-out way too often. I joked to the guys I was with that I should get paid for grading the trail for them!

I want to make my vehicle more capable for this type of stuff. I'm thinking a lift and some bigger tires are in order, and I've seen some of the mods that have been done around here. Any suggestions for the best way to go? As it is now, my stock Libby only has 7 inches of clearance, and that's before "airing down" the tires for the trail.

What is the best way to go with this? What type of lift/tires will give me the most clearance? What factors/tradeoffs should I be taking into consideration? I'm really a newbie to this whole thing...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were constantly bottoming out then I would suggest getting under and really checking the pans for dents/dings - when I went to change my trans fluid I dropped the skid plate and noticed a nice dent in the pan that was obviously there from before I had the skid. It wasn't deep or of much concern but it shows that it doesn't take much of a hit to damage them.

On the lift front I'm sure you'll get many recommendations. I run a Daystar lift right now but am thinking about going to OME springs sometime next year; my Jeep currently has 85K on the clock and the lift I have was purchased used with around 50K on it (installed it on mine 20K ago) so I imagine the springs are on their way out. If you want a LOT more clearance and have a good amount of change sitting around then you might consider the 4" lift by JeepinbyAl. It's a bit pricey but compared to a full-on SFA conversion it's very reasonably priced :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO a good choice for about 650 is OME Heavy Duty springs with Rancho shocks(struts) Had mine on for over 70,000 and no problems those and 3 conduit nuts nice size lift with no problems with the CVs or go all out and get the JBA 4 inch ( although I am only an inch or less lower than it is so....LOL)

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were constantly bottoming out then I would suggest getting under and really checking the pans for dents/dings - when I went to change my trans fluid I dropped the skid plate and noticed a nice dent in the pan that was obviously there from before I had the skid. It wasn't deep or of much concern but it shows that it doesn't take much of a hit to damage them.

- Thanks, Corwyn!

I did give it a good visual inspection and the oil pan, ****** pan, and gas tank all look good. (No skid plates on my stock vehicle...I'll have to get some soon!) The catalytic converter took a couple good hits. The front differential took a nice hit on it's bottom edge, too, but seems to have come through fine. The frame junction where the rear axle suspension connects up took some good hits, also. The flanged edges that stick down from those points have been bent upward a bit - but it doesn't look like it's "damaged," per se...

On the lift front I'm sure you'll get many recommendations. I run a Daystar lift right now but am thinking about going to OME springs sometime next year; my Jeep currently has 85K on the clock and the lift I have was purchased used with around 50K on it (installed it on mine 20K ago) so I imagine the springs are on their way out. If you want a LOT more clearance and have a good amount of change sitting around then you might consider the 4" lift by JeepinbyAl. It's a bit pricey but compared to a full-on SFA conversion it's very reasonably priced :)

- Thanks for the link. Yeah...those are a bit pricey, compared to the Old Man Emu/Rancho option. What is an "SFA Conversion?"

Thanks!

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is an "SFA Conversion?"
SFA = Solid Front Axle. Basically the way the older Cherokees and all the Wranglers are built. This is JJsKJ on his maiden trip out into the wilds after his conversion was complete:
You must be registered for see images attach

A closer look underneath:
You must be registered for see images attach

Lots of lift, fantastic articulation, and if you have to ask 'how much' you'd better just turn around and walk away ;)

DAGtunes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW. Yeah, that's a lot more than I can do with my daily driver...very impressive, though!

The guys I was off-roading with sent me a link with some pics. This is from this past Saturday. (With a little commentary, as well!) They're all "Isuzu Guys," but please don't hold that against them. There are Jeep parts in their vehicles, as well!

http://lttlbddy.com/albums/Trips-Misc/2008-1011-Lockwood/

Again, everyone was pretty amazed that the libby performed as it did. The pictures do the trail no justice. There were some real obstacles there, and even these guys got hung up on one or two of them!

Latest posts

Members online