OME/RSX and a spacer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to get the correct spring tension on those OME's....yes! that is why the frankenlift uses the .75" spacer. It maximizes the lift while giving a single solid pre-assembled unit to the customer, that meets all requirements set forth for the proper spring tension by OME.

X3 - Sorry TBJ. But you have to add a spacer if using Daystar top plate to get the same preload as OEM top plate with OME springs.

Whew. Almost dyslexed myself there... :D

Oh, and yes, you will be REALLY close to, and possible hitting UBJ on the spring. My UBJ are not hitting. But the UCA does (due to rotating the spring just right) bump it every now and then. Hence my search for some busted UCA's to perform a test with...

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's stupid.

(cue the sarcasm voice)

LOL. Yeah. That whole Frankenlift thing is stupid. What on earth was All-J's thinkin' with that hair-brained idea? :rolleyes:

(end sarcasm)

Agreed you can get about the same amount of lift either way. Just different ways to get to the same end result...

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to get the correct spring tension on those OME's....yes! that is why the frankenlift uses the .75" spacer. It maximizes the lift while giving a single solid pre-assembled unit to the customer, that meets all requirements set forth for the proper spring tension by OME.

What are the adverse effects of not having the spacers? I have well over 1000 miles on the new OME's now and haven't noticed anything? Durrastic improvement over the old daystar!

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the adverse effects of not having the spacers? I have well over 1000 miles on the new OME's now and haven't noticed anything? Durrastic improvement over the old daystar!

No real adverse effects. You just won't be sitting as talk. Your springs will be a little more soft too. But it really should not harm anything.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

The adverse affects of having the spacers is that you will need bumpstops to avoid stacking the coils.

With just OME springs, you won't stack the coils.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no! Not the dreaded bumpstop debate again. I thought I already beat that horse waaaaay past dead...

And yes... No matter what lift you install, Daystar, OME, Frankie, Homegrown, RRO (eeeek), etc, you need to add 1 inch of bumpstop for every inch of lift.....

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no! Not the dreaded bumpstop debate again. I thought I already beat that horse waaaaay past dead...

And yes... No matter what lift you install, Daystar, OME, Frankie, Homegrown, RRO (eeeek), etc, you need to add 1 inch of bumpstop for every inch of lift.....

(popcorn)

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a refresher, Bump stops explained:
reference: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=410789#p410789

Here are some pictures for future reference when explaining the need for bump stops. Notice how the coils compressed on the stock setup are very close to the compression of the lifted setup with the extended bumpstops. However, if you do not include the extended bumpstops, then the springs overcompress and possibly stack.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

For these pics, OEM spring + Spacer combo can be replaced by single, longer OME spring. Same real effect...

Latest posts

Members online