OME lift kit - which control arms needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okie michael

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade model and purchased an Old Man Emu lift kit from Quadratek a while back. Last week I found out the rear control arm bushings are severely cracked and the front lower control arms bushings are cracking. I think(?) I should go ahead and have the lift kit installed and upgrade to JBA control arms — can someone confirm which control arms I need to replace above? I found this on Jeepn By Al but think they are only upper control arms. JBA Upper A-arms for 02'-07' lifted Jeep Liberty's Do I need other parts besides these? Are they for the front and rear? What the mechanics were going to install is this, which they said will not work if it is lifted

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...e7/v/a/18683/automotive-suv-2006-jeep-liberty

Thanks all!

Okie michael

Reaction score
When you say you need the 132L do you mean that I need that for “full articulation” or that they simply do not fit? I don’t care about full articulation at this time. Thanks Tom! Are there any other components I would need per the mechanic’s description of the issues? I am not astute in this. Can you also specify the Core 4x4 lower control arm more precisely? Thank you!

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say you need the 132L do you mean that I need that for “full articulation” or that they simply do not fit? I don’t care about full articulation at this time. Thanks Tom! Are there any other components I would need per the mechanic’s description of the issues? I am not astute in this. Can you also specify the Core 4x4 lower control arm more precisely? Thank you!
Core4x4 rear lower control arms for a jeep grand Cherokee WJ will fit your kj it's what I run on my kj

Okie michael

Reaction score
Has anyone ever run 15” wheels from a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara on a 2005 Liberty with a Old Man Emu 2.5” lift? I am wondering if it has enough negative offset to run 31x10.5 15s?

Attachments

• F833AFF8-C8BD-4442-B49A-90E558CFD764.jpeg
    F833AFF8-C8BD-4442-B49A-90E558CFD764.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A60172D3-3F8B-4A17-B164-C293AA231C88.jpeg
    A60172D3-3F8B-4A17-B164-C293AA231C88.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 75927C12-7332-43F6-BCEB-EB78F6894668.jpeg
    75927C12-7332-43F6-BCEB-EB78F6894668.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 3

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me the tougher part on searching for fitment, both here and lost jeeps, is very few I've seen that posted success with 15" alloys didn't share many or any photos of them. From what I've read a lot of 15" alloys are either contacting the brakes or tierod/suspension when they don't fit, not a lot of documentation there either. 15" steels have more clearance, and don't seem to be a problem.

Backspacing/offset should be within reason, if they are the same backspacing that came on the moab's that are very popular with the kjs, moabs are just an inch wider that will sit closer to flush on the outside. I don't see the backspacing or offset listed on the photos there, and with that width you may have to limit some steering, suspension travel, modify fender liners and possibly the front bumper.

When I was searching for wheels I found a lot went by offset online, which many use backspacing on a lot of forums, this is quite handy for getting some calculations/conversions.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade model and purchased an Old Man Emu lift kit from Quadratek a while back. Last week I found out the rear control arm bushings are severely cracked and the front lower control arms bushings are cracking. I think(?) I should go ahead and have the lift kit installed and upgrade to JBA control arms — can someone confirm which control arms I need to replace above? I found this on Jeepn By Al but think they are only upper control arms. JBA Upper A-arms for 02'-07' lifted Jeep Liberty's Do I need other parts besides these? Are they for the front and rear? What the mechanics were going to install is this, which they said will not work if it is lifted

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...e7/v/a/18683/automotive-suv-2006-jeep-liberty

Thanks all!

I bought the OME springs and Bilstein shocks/struts so should be similar to your setup - I can't speak to the rear shock length issue in your kit though but mine works great so I assume mine are longer? The stock O'Reilly front upper control arms will not work well because the balljoints will be at their max angle as you drive down the highway - get offroad and ask for droop / downward articulation and the balljoints won't allow it. I imagine ball joints will have a short life in that scenario too. I initially installed my taller springs with the stock upper a-arms and I didn't like how it rode off road and I figured ball joint failure would happen regularly. I know I'll get flamed for saying this but I bought the Rocky Road Outfitters upper control arms and they work well (nothing against the JBAs but the RROs were slightly cheaper at the time and availability was better) - ball joints are now in the neutral position so allow articulation in both directions. The only issue I have is that I'm at the limits of the alignment specs and have no more adjustment. As far as the rear control arms go I'm still on the stock ones and they seem fine in every way so I'm betting the O'Reilly ones will work fine for you.

Okie michael

Reaction score
Core4x4 rear lower control arms for a jeep grand Cherokee WJ will fit your kj it's what I run on my kj
Are these JBA upper control arms only for the front or does the rear also need these? https://jbaoffroad.com/jba-upper-a-arms-for-02-07-lifted-jeep-liberty-s.html. If it doesn’t work in the rear upper, what do you recommend? Also is there a specific part number for the Core 4x4 lower control arms for front and rear that fit? Thanks all!! I really appreciate the knowledgeable feedback as I am new to lifts. :)

Last edited:

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these JBA upper control arms only for the front or does the rear also need these? https://jbaoffroad.com/jba-upper-a-arms-for-02-07-lifted-jeep-liberty-s.html. If it doesn’t work in the rear upper, what do you recommend? Also is there a specific part number for the Core 4x4 lower control arms for front and rear that fit? Thanks all!! I really appreciate the knowledgeable feedback as I am new to lifts. :)
I don't know squat about the need for a special rear upper control arm with a lift but my stock one seems to work fine with my OME lift so I bet yours will too. The JBA (and RRO) upper A-arms are front only - they don't work on the rear which is a very different design (see below - this is from the 02 manual but should look the same on yours apart from the brakes).

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When lifted stock wheels will work
or
16X7 with 4 inch backspacing
or if running 255 70 16 or 265 70 16 the 18X8 with 5 inches of backspacing
anything else you will lose articulation in the rear due to having to run more / taller bumpstops

The shocks that come on the OME KIT will work if only street driven, any off roading and they will top out

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
15 inch steel soft 8s will work
but any aluminum / cast 15 inch will 99 percent of the time rub the front calipers

Okie michael

Reaction score
When lifted stock wheels will work
or
16X7 with 4 inch backspacing
or if running 255 70 16 or 265 70 16 the 18X8 with 5 inches of backspacing
anything else you will lose articulation in the rear due to having to run more / taller bumpstops

The shocks that come on the OME KIT will work if only street driven, any off roading and they will top out
What does “top out” mean? Thx! Obviously and amateur :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What does “top out” mean? Thx! Obviously and amateur :)
As in stretched all the way out as far as it can go and then some
Just as bad as running no extra bumpstops and compressing the shock too far
ruins the shock either way

Pt420

Reaction score

Thanks all!
There is a recall on those control arms. First look into that before spending all the money maybe get them to replace what you get. As for what ones I couldn't tell ya. Sorry

iakj11

Reaction score
OP, as Pt420 suggested, see if you can get new rear lower control arms for free though the recall. If you can't get them that way, I have a like new set of mopar rear lca's I'd sell you cheap.

Okie michael

Reaction score
Great info everyone. So currently I am considering installing the Old Man Emu lift kit, with the Core 4x4 adjustable rear lower control arms, the JBA upper control arms, and need to replace the front lower control arms (because the two bushings are cracking on each side), the “A arms”. What A arms will work with this setup? Thanks!

CORE 4X4 Adjustable Control Arms Tier 2 - Rear Lower - Color: Red (Fits Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 1999-2004) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J19BW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8PKN8W5E6V6RX113S4AZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info everyone. So currently I am considering installing the Old Man Emu lift kit, with the Core 4x4 adjustable rear lower control arms, the JBA upper control arms, and need to replace the front lower control arms, the “A arms”. What A arms will work with this setup? Thanks!

CORE 4X4 Adjustable Control Arms Tier 2 - Rear Lower - Color: Red (Fits Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 1999-2004) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J19BW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8PKN8W5E6V6RX113S4AZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Can someone explain the benefits of the adjustable aftermarket rear lower control arms? I've actually been very happy with the way the stock ones work back there but maybe I'm missing something?

iakj11

Reaction score
The JBA front upper control arms you linked to above will be all you need in the front. These front upper control arms are referred to as "A" arms. You should not need to replace the front lower control arms to accommodate a lift. If you do need front lower control arms for some reason, I have a set of those for sale too!

Okie michael

Reaction score
Can someone explain the benefits of the adjustable aftermarket rear lower control arms? I've actually been very happy with the way the stock ones work back there but maybe I'm missing something?
For my circumstance, I needed to replace the rear lower control arms because the bushings are severely cracked. Someone recommended the Core 4x4 adjustable as a good product / fitment. The Core 4x4 components have a lifetime warranty— you break it and they’ll replace for free. Plus they were less expensive than the “stock” replacement. I had to replace them under a recall in 2018 and they already failed.

Latest posts

Members online