OME/Ironman spring specs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local shop is hesitant to install "lift" springs on a shock/strut due to the pressures involved. Their spring compressor works fine for stock, but heavier springs tend to bow out and possibly fly apart.
So basically, are the springs longer than stock, and are the shock/strut recommended, longer than stock?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front shock length is all the same although Ironman are a bit longer
If their machine can not compress Ironman or OME springs go on down the road since they are using a cheap / more than likley out dated machines. The places I use can do 500 lb rated OME 790 springs for example with no issues

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, I just put my new front assys together yesterday using OEM springs for a CRD and Bilstien (sp) struts. They are nearly 3" longer than the removed ones.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, I just put my new front assys together yesterday using OEM springs for a CRD and Bilstien (sp) struts. They are nearly 3" longer than the removed ones.

Bob

Length means nothing really, its the spring rating that effects height / weight etc
Plus I'm sure your old ones were sagged enough they lost at least an inch or more in height

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to completed, bolted together height. I'm sure the original struts didn't shrink any. I know unloaded springs can't be compared just on length.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bilstein and OEM/ OME are all same length front " shocks"
Only Ironman are a bit longer so 3 inches taller ?
Come on now:icon_lol:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still have one side unloaded. Top spring perch to bottom spring perch; oe= 12 1/4" Bils= 14 1/2". And it ain't the tape measure I keep beside the bed for the little woman to measure my "tool" with.

Bob

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go somewhere else...even my neighborhood MIdas shop had the right tools...

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang me anyhow! :Stupid Me: I did what I hate others do, post a question, then never check back to see the answer!
I was wondering about using CRD springs, just afraid it would ride too stiff.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang me anyhow! :Stupid Me: I did what I hate others do, post a question, then never check back to see the answer!
I was wondering about using CRD springs, just afraid it would ride too stiff.

OEM CRD springs are rated at 410 lbs
OME CRDs are rated at 500
No real lift with the OEMs
I've ran OME790s ( CRDs ) with gasser Frankenlift parts on mine for over 50,000 miles before I swapped