Ome + h&r

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

There hasn't been much activity on the H&R coil springs, I was wondering if anyone has more information that they can share?

There is a Canadian distributer that is recommending the H&R raising springs with the Beilstein shocks. I have asked about the spring rates but they claim H&R do not publish this information.

As others have stated, they are not cheap. $403.75 CAD / Set of 4 coil springs however, they offer free shipping. 4 coil springs from OME will cost me ($333.40 + $66.39 shipping = $399.79 USD) converted to CAD = $516.11. So if they are as good (or at least better than stock/Monroe/Moog/etc) then it saves me at least $113 (+ probably duty charges).

Look on Fleabay. I think I saw a set on there for 240ish shipped. I almost got them.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I might give them a try(H&R). I already purchased the extended OME rear shocks, but I'll start off with my Gabriel Ultra's since they are brand new and I've been very please with the ride. If the H&H's only give a 40mm lift I'm not too concerned about extended shocks.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still loving these H&R Springs and Gabriel Ultra Shocks all the way around after approximately 6,000 miles. Very reasonably priced, comfortable and yet very confident ride. I did add a 3/8" JBA clevis spacer and 1 additional upper rear isolator.

Total price of lift was under $500, so I'm very pleased. I wasn't looking to go very high though. I'm at the 21.5" range now and I have never rubbed my 30x9.5x15 tires on those rims with less backspacing than normal. I did hammer over the pinch weld and molded some of the front wheel well plastic just to be safe though.

H&R Springs = $250 all 4 springs
Rear Shocks = $60/pair
Front Shocks = $110/pair
JBA 3/8" Clevis = $35/pair
OEM Upper Iso = $25/pair

All prices are + or - and I was able to find a few coupons and decrease the total a bit.

You must be registered for see images attach

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard length Gabriel Ultra's front and rear.

Rear part number is G63844
Front part number is G51728

H&R 29203-1 Sport Springs

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard length Gabriel Ultra's front and rear.

Rear part number is G63844
Front part number is G51728

H&R 29203-1 Sport Springs

If your springs are giving you 1.5" of lift and you added the iso I'd definitely be looking at extended rear shocks
Having stock length shocks extended 2.25" all of the time will sooner or later blow them if doing hard off-roading
Stock length shocks were meant for stock height suspension, so you're more than likely going to top those out during extension or bottom them out since your springs are giving you more articulation

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some search on lostjeeps.
Looks like the H&R are rated for 310.
Tom said that's the same spring rate as OEM.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did some search on lostjeeps.
Looks like the H&R are rated for 310.
Tom said that's the same spring rate as OEM.

Yes it is, ( same as original ) knew we discussed it at one point could not remember when , where or ???????????????

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The H&R Springs are progressive, so I wouldn't compare them with the OEM springs in anyway. My Libby had less than 13,000 miles on it when I installed the H&R's and they were night and day compared to the OEM. Yes, they provide as comfortable of a ride on small bumps and potholes on paved roads, but the progressive rate allows them to confidently handle very rough roads and trails with ease.

Regarding extended shocks, I just don't feel the need. Completely off the ground with very heavy tires and wheels hanging the standard length shocks are within 1" of the mounting holes. So, unless I plan on spending a lot of time airborne, which I don't, I'd be much more concerned about over compressing extended length shocks. I know that's why many of you install extended bump stop as well as to prevent spring wrap up/contact.

We'll see. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong about something. I will post here if I do have any problems with the standard length rear shocks. I do drive very rough dirt roads at around 30mph all the time and cut through the woods on logging type trails and unimproved roads quite often. While it is my daily driver, I don't live in the city and my Libby is not a "boulevard cruiser".

jcollinsia

Reaction score
So I just replaced my old worn, worn out (stock) springs and shocks with a set of H&R springs and Monroe shocks and a few conduit nuts up front to level it out. Due to having a short garage door, I wasn't able to go any higher.

Since swapping it this weekend, I've noticed that it rides considerably stiffer than before. On city streets I tend to feel every seam and crack in the road. Is this just par for the course?

BEFORE:
Front driver: 18.25
Front pass: 18.25
Rear driver: 18.5
Rear pass: 18.75

AFTER:
Front driver: 21
Front pass: 21
Rear driver: 21.25
Rear pass: 21.25

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I just replaced my old worn, worn out (stock) springs and shocks with a set of H&R springs and Monroe shocks and a few conduit nuts up front to level it out. Due to having a short garage door, I wasn't able to go any higher.

Since swapping it this weekend, I've noticed that it rides considerably stiffer than before. On city streets I tend to feel every seam and crack in the road. Is this just par for the course?

BEFORE:
Front driver: 18.25
Front pass: 18.25
Rear driver: 18.5
Rear pass: 18.75

AFTER:
Front driver: 21
Front pass: 21
Rear driver: 21.25
Rear pass: 21.25

Looks like you got a solid 2 inches of lift from them at least.
As far as the ride , so few have used them that its hard to say.
BUT you shouldn't feel every little bump and crack in the road
Of course Monroe shocks depending on which you used may contribute to that