Ome + h&r

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To bring this back from the dead.

As far as I know, I am the only KJ in NA to have this kit 29203-1. I called in a favor to H&R to get these. Paired with my Koni adjustables, these are a perfect fit for my driving style. They have gotten me everyhere i needed to go on and off road for he past 3 years.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H&R are good, used a lot by the Germans on there KJ for a litt paired up with OEM shocks or Bildstein and give a good ride. It will give a good 1.5 in lift and avoids having to change the upper arms. The Price is also very competitive compared to OME or Ironman. If I had to start all over again I would most probably go that way as saddly my KJ spends 95% of it's time on the road.
Fil.

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know H&R/Bilstein from racing in Germany, hence why I was able to call in a favor and have the set I have released from H&R NA.

Deuxdiesel

Reaction score
I searched and found that there is a sport kit (1.5" lowering) and 1.5" "raising" kit on hrsprings.com listed for a Liberty. $369 seems reasonable, but again, we don't know the spring rates.

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the rating as 1200Kg for the front axel, but couldn't work it back, this was sent to me from H&R Germany. I will see if I can find the info again as it was a couple of years back, for sure they won't be rated 500Lbs like the OME 790 more likely to be around the 410 lbs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I searched and found that there is a sport kit (1.5" lowering) and 1.5" "raising" kit on hrsprings.com listed for a Liberty. $369 seems reasonable, but again, we don't know the spring rates.

369 is not that cheap for 4 springs

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
369 is not that cheap for 4 springs

$369 for JUST the springs? I wouldn't consider that a good deal either.

But what do I know? Most of the posts I read, scratch my chin pretending to understand, and go "ah yes, the spring rates. bomb diggity..." (make sure you say that in a pretentious monotonous voice, it's funnier that way)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
$369 for JUST the springs? I wouldn't consider that a good deal either.

But what do I know? Most of the posts I read, scratch my chin pretending to understand, and go "ah yes, the spring rates. bomb diggity..." (make sure you say that in a pretentious monotonous voice, it's funnier that way)

It would be fun to float around in your head for a day looking at the world through your mind :bleh:
Just joking ha ha

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be fun to float around in your head for a day looking at the world through your mind :bleh:
Just joking ha ha

It's amazingly entertaining :) I highly recommend it if you can afford the technology. I may not understand a lot of what is said on the forum but I'm learning! I can now use spring rate in a semi logical sentence and I throw in random nonsensical phrases while the boy and his dad are working on the wrangler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's amazingly entertaining :) I highly recommend it if you can afford the technology. I may not understand a lot of what is said on the forum but I'm learning! I can now use spring rate in a semi logical sentence and I throw in random nonsensical phrases while the boy and his dad are working on the wrangler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole reason I'm here is to learn. I hardly have the cash to upgrade the Jeep.

...before I came here I was absolutely belligerently dumb when it came to certain automotive aspects... :ROFLJest:

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

There hasn't been much activity on the H&R coil springs, I was wondering if anyone has more information that they can share?

There is a Canadian distributer that is recommending the H&R raising springs with the Beilstein shocks. I have asked about the spring rates but they claim H&R do not publish this information.

As others have stated, they are not cheap. $403.75 CAD / Set of 4 coil springs however, they offer free shipping. 4 coil springs from OME will cost me ($333.40 + $66.39 shipping = $399.79 USD) converted to CAD = $516.11. So if they are as good (or at least better than stock/Monroe/Moog/etc) then it saves me at least $113 (+ probably duty charges).

jcollinsia

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of the raising springs (p/n 29203-1) but haven't installed them yet. I ended up getting them from THMotorsports for $235.19 (USD) including shipping. Not much to contribute besides pricing at this point.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently bought a set of the raising springs (p/n 29203-1) but haven't installed them yet. I ended up getting them from THMotorsports for $235.19 (USD) including shipping. Not much to contribute besides pricing at this point.

What kind are they?
Oh wait, just found them H&R
not many at all use them, not much support for them
what are you using for the rear?

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks, looking forward to hear the results. Installing them soon?

I tried to probe for more info, this is the best info I could get from them.

H&R Representative said:
H&R Springs carry a Lifetime Warranty against sag, but that is subject to inspection at H&R if there is a spring in question. H&R springs will have a firmer spring rate than your factory springs but again H&R does not publish spring rates.

Ride comfort is a very subjective matter and in the end personal preferences vary. You will have to follow your gut on what you choose.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, looking forward to hear the results. Installing them soon?

I tried to probe for more info, this is the best info I could get from them.

They warranty against sag, BUT if used in a off roading manner or if anything is added like top plates, clevis lift etc then they could of course say thats why they sagged.
Also while they say they warranty against sag, its a natural thing for springs to sag over time, a non sagging spring would be a ...rock :shrug:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the reluctance to publish spring rates...?

That's what we use for comparison shopping, right? Kinda like saying "We sell engines..." and then not publishing HP and torque ratings...

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H&R Special Springs, LP

(Excerpt from their website)

Spring Rate 101. by Roland Graef.

Suspension customers shopping for aftermarket springs will sometimes resort to shopping for springs by spring rate. While the rate of the spring is a measure of spring performance, it is not the only influence of vehicle performance and handling, especially when the chassis is lowered. There are many factors that come into play when it comes to suspension tuning.

When does a higher rate spring feel softer than a lower rate spring and a lower rate feel harder than higher rate spring? These differences occur when you lower the chassis and the bumpstop is trimmed or not trimmed. The bumpstop acts like a small progressive spring (see Micro Cellular Jounce Bumper). A lower rate spring that lowers the ride height of the chassis with no bumpstop trimming, making the bumpstop more active, would feel about as stiff as a higher rate lowering spring with the bumpstop trimmed, making the bumpstop less active. Also, the amount of ride height lowering also affects suspension rate.

Since there is no standard for quoting spring rates, most manufacturers just quote numbers without any regard for spring function and spring rate ramping—spring rate ramping is the difference in ride feel between springs of different shapes with the same spring rates under suspension compression. The only way to truly compare spring rates is by using working spring rate numbers.

When a manufacturer quotes a progressive spring rate such as 80#, 150#, 225#, and the stock rate is a linear 135#, the new spring looks super progressive. Visually it seems to start off softer than stock and gets progressively stiffer as needed. But what these rates don’t tell you is that the chassis is already sitting at the 170# rate at loaded height. This means the "working spring rate" is actually 170# to 225#. The lower spring rate range below 170# is the dead or inactive spring coils which do nothing but give the spring tension at full rebound. Note that this does not take into consideration the bump stop engagement and their effect on chassis ride height with the installed lowering springs. This is only one example of why using the "working spring rate" is more accurate when making comparisons. It is also important to have already driven on a different rate than stock to feel the difference before making any comparisons based on the quoted rates.

There are many other factors that influence suspension rate that include, but are not limited to: Shock dampening values, tires, bushings, and of course the most important "personal driving style".

Keep in mind that if you're shopping for springs based only on spring rates, then you are not taking into account a number of other variables that affect ride height, performance, and comfort.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
While true to a point they are only talking about progessive springs and lowered which in itself is a whole other matter.