OME/Bilstein + wesway lift what am I doing wrong ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just2Bad

Reaction score
I installed 2 months the so called Wesway lift.

Yesterday got all my parts to install my OME/Bilstein lift.

I were never able to set back the bottom of the clevis with the 2 lift on. I had to remove both my boiler shim and the conduct nuts cause even with only one of the shim or the nuts on I couldn't sit back the bottom of the clevis. So for now I only have the ome/bilstein lift on. Would love to but back the shim at least so I havent bought it for nothing

What am I doing wrong ???

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same problem trying to install 1.25" front shims, took me forever. I ended up using a bottle jack to push down the lower control arm (you can also undo the sway bar link, as it will allow the control arm to move even further down). Once done it was still hard to slip it in. But after yelling screaming and punching it went it :)

Just2Bad

Reaction score
I revome the sway bar and pushed down the lower control arm but it seems that it contacted with the spring and didn't wanted to get down further.

the LCA need to go down another 1/2" to be able to just fit the 3/8" shim but like I said the UCA seems to contact with the spring and wont let me push further the LCA.

damn IFS the rear was so easy to do compared to the front. Now I want my front leveled with my rear and put back at least the shim.

I was pusshing dont with a bottle jack between the UCA and the bumpstop maybe that's why...

You were pushing between the LCA and what ????

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are taking a very simple easy job and turning it into something difficult
KJs are one of the easiest lifts to do
Now first do you have the UCA off?
Did you remove the sway bar?
With the whole shock/coil out slide it up in ( with top plate on if you so desire) start the two outside nuts on
Now slide the clevis up on the bottom of the shock
( with clevis if you like)
push it towards the area where it needs bolted to,
If it doesn't go ( should with only those items used ) then attach one rachet strap to each leg of the clevis and pull each one into place, simple /fast/easy even by yourself, The clevis does have a collar on it that you have to work up over the LCA mount but otherwise straight forward install
Now if you want a challenge use a gas Frankenlift parts/OME790 springs and a top plate :happy175:
I can R&R mine using nothing more than hand tools in less than 45 minutes per side

Just2Bad

Reaction score
No I never removed the UCA cause it wasn't necessary when I installed the wesway lift the first time, So I taught that the ome lift would be the same steps.

Now that my libby got alligned today if I redo the wesway do I need to realligned again ?

Just2Bad

Reaction score
also the guy where I got the jeep aligned today told me that with my rear lift the support that hold the rear diff has a too prononced angle and that I need another support, is that true ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to take the whole UCA off just pop the ball joint loose
calipers off makes it easier as well if you didn't do that

Rear tri link too angled :happy175:
he should see mine well unless you have over a 4 inch lift
it will be fine
so where are you sitting at now, bottom of flare to middle of the wheel?

Just2Bad

Reaction score
will measure later my GF is out with the jeep

You must be registered for see images

Just2Bad

Reaction score
You don't have to take the whole UCA off just pop the ball joint loose

how am I doing that ???? don't understand. I removed the bolt under the UCA but does nothing. I have a trail at night and ne to have this resolve :favorites68::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68::favorites68:

You must be registered for see images

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You need to do some percussive maintenance... beat on the side of the knuckle where the ball joint seats with a BFH. It will pop loose with persuasion.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What she said but also run the nut back up on the upper ball joint a few threads to protect it
also have a jack under the lower control arm
then 3 lb sledge hit it hard , no sissy love taps it will pop right loose

Just2Bad

Reaction score
Got it and did my trail.

But now I have another problem since I reinstalled the boiler shim and the clevis lift(2 nuts) Everytime I hit a rock, hole, bump I ear a loud clunking noise coming from the suspension like if something was loose but it's not the case.

From center of the wheel I'm sitting at 23" flush

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you torque your swaybar links when the vehicle was sitting on the ground? If not, those are prone to make a lot of noise.

Just2Bad

Reaction score
Finally founded that's the UCA contacting with the spring, so I rmeoved the "weswaylift" until I can afford a-arms

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Assumed thats what it was
you could of left the top plate on
so you removed the clevis and top plate
everytime I hear Wesway I laugh my butt off.
Was doing them for years and then someone puts a name on it and now thats all you hear funny as all he77

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...everytime I hear Wesway I laugh my butt off.
Was doing them for years and then someone puts a name on it and now thats all you hear funny as all he77

Hey, Wes has a future in marketing and brand development. :icon_wink:

Bob

Last edited: