OME/Bilstein lift - it's time

Discussion in 'Lift Kit Discussion' started by dchadjohnson, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Aceofspades

Aceofspades Full Access Member

If you’re trying to keep the fork open, just flip the bolt around and slip in a piece of metal or box wrench whatever laying around etc

2. NewIn4x4

NewIn4x4 New Member

Easy enough. Not sure why I didn't think of this. Thank you

Aceofspades likes this.
  3. Jeremy-WI

Jeremy-WI Full Access Member

Coil spring compression tool would likely be very handy for a coil over that provides any lift as even factory height coil overs are a battle to get it without it

4. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

LOL, no need for any spring compressors at all ..................................

5. NewIn4x4

NewIn4x4 New Member

Hopefully this time i won't have to much trouble getting them inn. After all, i will be installing it after LBJ's replacement, so nothing should be in my way.
    Did you see the picture of the strut i posted without the spring? Its measures the same with it. Does it look like a normal size?

6. Jeremy-WI

Not sure what year they are installing in but my 2006 wasn't real easy with factory height replacements with the upper ball joint and sway bar disconnected with the spring rubbing against the inner fender well

7. tommudd

Just start the coilover into the clevis and attach two ratchet straps, will pull everything right in place
    I assume you removed brakes etc since UBJ was out, sometimes even have to remove the tie rod ends along with the sway bar links
    even with everything needed to install 3.5-3.75 or so never had an issue on any years.
    Now installing Frankenlifts were a bit of a challenge due to that darn spacer LOL

8. NewIn4x4

NewIn4x4 New Member

Can you give a bit more details on how to use ratchet straps? Thank you.

9. Jeremy-WI

I would say you use the ratchet strap to draw the lower part of the coilover assembly closer to the inner fenderwell. I am not sure where you would connect the hooks on the ratchet strap to the frame

10. tommudd

Attach one on each leg of the clevis, attach other end over to LCA, pull them in, using two allows you to adjust and pull each one separtly. when they are almost up there put a screw driver/ pry bar under the clevis to raise them up enough to align the bolt holes
    easy and quick

this is of course after you have one or two nuts on the top part of the coilover, just loose, with smaller lifts of 2.5 - 3 inches takes just a couple of minutes