Old Mopar Battery I'm Impressed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though I have a newer 850 CCA battery in the Jeep now..
This was my original Mopar 630 AMP battery that was new back in 2008.
Ya Almost 7 years old ! It has been a back up battery for boat, and I have charged it every month with a 6 amp automatic charger, and kept the water up.
Still looks like new on top of cells.
Fully charged before a 100AMP load test...
51406[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow...This battery is still really strong 600CCA !:gr_grin:

Attachments

• ibg3Rpb.jpg
    ibg3Rpb.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory battery (I presume it was factory since it was MOPAR...I got the Jeep used) lasted about 7 years in my Jeep. The Diehard Silver I had after that barely lasted over 3 years... I had it prorated so I'm on a Diehard Gold now. Just got it tested and it's outputting 1100 CCA. I think the battery is rated at 825 CCA.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty good. Mine lasted around 5 years if I remember right and then was testing at just under 12 volts and barely cranking the engine over when I replaced it. On my second battery now.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My factory battery went just over 7 years before it needed replacement.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went until the summer of '13, so about 8½ yrs. and the life probably was shortened a bit by being dead flat in a cold garage for a year.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a rule, OEM batteries seem to last a long time.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My battery is not original but it seems to be quite weak when the temp drops real low, Worried about it not starting when it needs to one day, I think I will be going with the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra, Had one in my Sierra HD and it was incredible, Would like to know what the actual CCA's compared to the Advertised CCA's, Do you just test it with a load tester?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting fact about cold & batteries.
At -35.6 C you only have 25% of the original amount of CCA available!
Always find an 800CCA battery or greater in cold climates especially Alberta/Parries!
51423[/ATTACH]"]

There are many advantages about an AGM (absorb glass mat) and the Ultra is a good battery at a reasonable price compared to the best most powerful battery an Odyssey at $350 CAN.
You can improve your state of charge by using an automatic charger through the winter.
Manually trickle charging your battery will also greatly extend the life of any battery.
If your battery has removable caps a battery hydrometer will tell you the condition of each cell and if the battery could use charging.
When it's cold, the specific gravity reading will tell you why charging is necessary as well. Charging will warm the electrolyte and add much bonus cranking power.
51425[/ATTACH]"]

The Ultra is probably around 850CCA is fully sealed, (no venting) so you wont get science projects on terminals, and the CT warranty 5 years no questions asked, so u get a new one if it fails.
A load tester will tell you quick how many CCA are available. An electronics version like a Midtronics tester can be safely connected to the battery while everything is still connected.
I would never connect mine to the Jeep without disconnecting Jeep's battery terminals, cause mine draws down 100 AMPs for real. Don't want to damage diodes in Alt or computer or anything like that.
Also adding a 120Volt battery wrap or battery blanket, restores the CCA, which is why so many have them plugged in.
A block heater is a good idea too, as warm up time is greatly reduced and engine starts so much easier, taking the load off the starter & battery as well.

Attachments

• h3gm8xT.jpg
    h3gm8xT.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 0
  • VnnUzv3.jpg
    VnnUzv3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My original went at 4 years I think it was, it was dead/ done for/ crashed/ burned/ died . Crap battery

LibertyMan02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a Philippine supervisor who was something else. He had this infamous red truck he had for years. One day we was done from work, we was standing around and he piped up and said in an disappointing tone that he had to go buy a new battery for his truck. He said the dumb thing ONLY lasted 10 years! Straight faced and dead serious he was! All us guys just stood there trying to collect our mouths off the ground. We were stunned for sure! LOL