oil question for tjkj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as i was doing my 90k mile fluid changes (all fluids), i was pouring in the oil and didnt notice until it was all in that it was 5 w 20 instead of 5 w 30. it is the mobile 1 extended syn.

is this ok or should i get the 5w 30? i live in georgia so its starting to get hot here. i doubt ill get another oil change in until sept or so. i change every 5k.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me personally I'd change it to 5w-30,and being yoru in the south I'd use 10w-30.

It's up to you,just keep a very close watch on your oil level as it may burn it faster since it's 5w-20.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. im going to change it. i must have been blind when i grabbed the jug off the shelf.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. im going to change it. i must have been blind when i grabbed the jug off the shelf.

Easy to do since all the jugs are the same colors etc and look alike so you have to look closely and not just grab one "in a hurry".

Yeah, if it were me I would feel more comphy if I changed it.

Dave

JeepMan82

Reaction score
I personally run whatever engine oil that the owners manual says to. I have an 07 KJ and I use 5 W 20 and have no issues at all.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see how if the 07s+ use 5-20 that it would do anything what so ever to an 02-06. Any real reasons why you guys wouldnt use it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont see how if the 07s+ use 5-20 that it would do anything what so ever to an 02-06. Any real reasons why you guys wouldnt use it?
The 3.7 was designed for 5w-30 oil,can use 10w-30 in hotter temps.They started recommending 5w-20 oil in '07+ due to trying to meet federal mpg standards.They did not modify the engine to properly run 5w-20 oil.While the 3.7/4.7 does not suffer the same results as the 3.8 the JK uses when using 5w-20 oil they can be effected in higher mileage engines.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That being true. I dont Think DC would switch a factory used oil to one that is bad for our engines. Ill bet money that there are/will be just as many 07+ kjs with 250k+miles (using 5-20) as there are 02-06

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That being true. I dont Think DC would switch a factory used oil to one that is bad for our engines. Ill bet money that there are/will be just as many 07+ kjs with 250k+miles (using 5-20) as there are 02-06
It works but just does not protect the engine like using the correct oil.They were not thinking long term reliability when switching to 5w-20 but thinking about meeting federal mpg standards.

I work on all makes and models and I'm seeing a trend,many are going away from those thin oils and back to 5w-30 as the recommended oil.

AKjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I definitely agree about thinner oils. And maybe DC werent thinking to much about long term. But if OP ran one oci with 5-20 it would be fine

Members online