Oil Pan Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Darn road salt. That pan is on borrowed time I think.

Around here (Upstate NY) they use a lot of road salt. I spray off the underneith with the power sprayer at the do-it-yourself car wash after every storm. Then when I do my oil changes I wipe an oily rag all over the oil pan and also the ****** pan. So far they are holding up.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

I do the same thing Dave. Oil don't rust!

I remember my old 1975 Fiat 128 Sport Wagon, that thing leaked enough
oil from all parts of the engine that the bottom of the engine and engine
compartment were the only parts of the whole car that didn't have any rust
and corrosion on it!

TomO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished the JB Weld oil pan band-aid this past weekend. So far, so good!

I needed to drain all of the oil and clean the outer surface pretty well because I saw that oil could seep right through the uncured JB Weld. It was actually leaving small paths which the oil could continue to leak through.

I drained the oil Friday night and applied the first layer of JBW, waited until Saturday morning and applied a second layer, then a third layer Saturday night.

Sunday morning I re-filled the oil and WaHoo - no drips yet.

I wonder if I bought a day, a week, a month or more... Who knows?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rust at all under my 04 kj. Its got a few leaks so it keeps itself from rusting. I wash it and coat most everything with oil fairly often too. Gotta keep that underbody clean if you want it to last.

Members online