Oil Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKj96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past week when my jeep get warmed up the oil light comes on and i have been checking my fluid levels for the past 3 weeks every other day and there is absolutely no loss in the oil level. I cannot see any leaks and none in my garage. Any ideas of what i should check. When the engine is cold there is no light. I have not driven it with the light on.

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For the past week when my jeep get warmed up the oil light comes on and i have been checking my fluid levels for the past 3 weeks every other day and there is absolutely no loss in the oil level. I cannot see any leaks and none in my garage. Any ideas of what i should check. When the engine is cold there is no light. I have not driven it with the light on.

Thanks.

Oil pressure switch located above the oil filter could very well be the issue

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "light" only measures pressure - not the oil level. You have one of three issues - bad sending unit, weak oil pump or sludge. Given my experience and observations with these engines - I would suspect sludge.

The sending unit is only $23-$28 and is not that big of an issue to replace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVvv9LtPkKA

If that doesn't do it I'd pull a valve cover and see if its sludge. The valve cover gaskets are $45 to $70 depending on your needs.