oil light came on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil indicator lit up to today while stopped at a light and then turned off when i drove away. It did this a couple of more times coming on then off but has since stopped. I checked the engine oil and it is full. What could have caused this - failing oil pump, faulty sensor, electric gremlins?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we've likely never heard of a failing oil pump....

Your issue is the oil pressure sensor. :)

who's we? Split personality? :D
I guess i should have said worn oil pump. :rolleyes: Although, if you think about it everything is in the process of failing as things get worn out.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We, as in the members of the website. :D

I haven't seen anything about a bad/failing/worn oil pump.

I guess you speak for all other members. :D
It's mentioned in my hayes manual as a possible cause of low oil pressure. However, in my case it could also be electrical since i seem to have wierd electrical issues on rare occasions like the dash lights flickering.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, its your oil pressure sensor, that would be my guess. and if you arent going to pay for an over priced diagnostic from a stealer, the cheap sensor can be a part to throw at it to see if it fixes. if it doesnt, then you go from there.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was doing it again today so I called the dealer and they said it could be that when i got my oil changed last at quicklube they never cleared the oil change interval. She had me turn the key to the 'on' position and stomp the gas pedal 5 times to clear it. I haven't seen the light come on since so hopefully that was it. She said the oil light is simply there to tell you when to change your oil. I thought it was an oil pressure sensor light.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that according to the owner's manual the oil light is the oil pressure warning light. If it comes on and stays on while driving do not drive your vehicle but shut it off asap until it can be fixed. In my case it came on while idling but turned off when driving.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It was doing it again today so I called the dealer and they said it could be that when i got my oil changed last at quicklube they never cleared the oil change interval. She had me turn the key to the 'on' position and stomp the gas pedal 5 times to clear it. I haven't seen the light come on since so hopefully that was it. She said the oil light is simply there to tell you when to change your oil. I thought it was an oil pressure sensor light.

ROFL!!!!! :D There IS NO oil change interval counter on the KJ. That only applies for the KK. ('08+)

And the KK tells you when it's time to do the oil change either by EVIC or "CHANGE OIL" appears in the odometer area screen.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROFL!!!!! :D There IS NO oil change interval counter on the KJ. That only applies for the KK. ('08+)

And the KK tells you when it's time to do the oil change either by EVIC or "CHANGE OIL" appears in the odometer area screen.

Shoot. Well the service person knew i had an 02 liberty. Unless only the Canadian Liberty's have the interval indicator (unlikely) then the service person must have gotten mixed up. However, the light hasn't come on since but we will see what tommorow brings.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what i will do is get an oil pressure guage and hook it up and see what the actual numbers are. I might as well get a set of cool guages to mount in the kj as well.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'd just like to clarify what I said above for future reference:

There *is* a oil change interval counter on the KJ, *BUT* ONLY if you have the EVIC and it can be reset at any time by simply pressing the reset button. The KK's counter is mandatory and constantly annoys you if you forget to reset it each change. Whether it actually measures oil life (like GM cars do) by sensors or if it's just a mileage counter I don't know.

however, either way in this case, the counter doesn't apply.

Hey Marlon did you figure out how to hook up the oil gauge and the sender unit at the same time? http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2325&highlight=oil+pressure+sensor

Oh man do you realize how OLD that is?

I never did finish that project. :(

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to clarify what I said above for future reference:

There *is* a oil change interval counter on the KJ, *BUT* ONLY if you have the EVIC and it can be reset at any time by simply pressing the reset button. The KK's counter is mandatory and constantly annoys you if you forget to reset it each change. Whether it actually measures oil life (like GM cars do) by sensors or if it's just a mileage counter I don't know.

however, either way in this case, the counter doesn't apply.

Oh man do you realize how OLD that is?

I never did finish that project. :(

shoot. i wonder how i could hook up an oil pressure guage and the sender unit at once.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall using some sort of a T to keep the idiot oil light working in one of my old cars. I don't know if it would work on Da Jeep. Might be able to move the T away from the area using the proper lines.

jcpryce

Reaction score
When I went to buy my kj i test drove one and the oil light came on while we were driving. So we took it back to the dealer and they looked at it and said it was the sensor changed it and the oil and said it was good. Took it out again, made it to the interestate this time before it came on, but when it did, it made some nice noises and then the KJ just stopped... They had to come pick me up. It ended up being the oil pump, but i didn't care, bought another KJ from another dealership.