Oil leak / pool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfiforlife

Reaction score
-2004 Jeep Liberty limited V6
-180K Miles

So After working on an issue that involves the coolant boiling and splashing all over my firewall/engine and resolving it, I came across yet another issue.

Every time I turn on the vehicle cold, I get white smoke coming from behind the engine / Firewall area (Not much just a little). Also I get a burnt smell (same as the white smoke) coming from my vents inside the vehicle when using the heater or AC. The smoke clears after about 5 min but the smell does not.

I noticed a small drip at the bottom of the car on the passenger side that looks just like the new engine oil I put in there about 2 weeks ago. The oil level decreased just a tiny bit but nothing significant. Transmission fluid level is good. I decided to trace the oil yet it was too hard to tell where it was coming from. I did find that the firewall was covered in some kind of fluid but its hard to tell what it was since I had coolant splash all over the firewall recently due to it boiling out of the reservoir. I immediately thought "Cover Gasket" But then I found pools of oil located in the pics below. I am wondering if a Cover Gasket would leak oil in these pockets? To me that looks like its just a tiny bit away from the cover gasket but I have never changed a cover gasket before so I am wondering what your opinion is.

Please keep in mind that I also recently had coolant splash all over the engine and firewall so SOME of the stains in the picture are from the old coolant overflow spill.

Also keep in mind that I had changed my oil recently and it is clear oil (just like the drops under the passenger side. The oil in the pockets looks dark and old...but it could have also mixed with some of the coolant splash and turned to that dark color, I am not sure....I am wondering if I am dealing with 2 different problems here (One having to do with new oil leaking under the passenger side / One having to do with these oil pockets in the pics...) What do you think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by the locations of the 'oil pools', I'm going say you may be onto something with the leaky valve cover gasket idea. It's probably been doing it a while, so some of that 'old' looking oil probably is old (as well as mixed with whatever dirt and grime is around). The question is, though, is it the valve cover gasket, or is it further down where the head and cylinder block meet? One is an easy-ish fix, the other is not.

Is the smoke 'white', or more 'blueish'? Blueish will be oil, white is typically coolant. Since you did have a bit of a leak, some could still be evaporating. However I suspect it's blueish. If the valve cover gasket is leaking, it's probably getting on the exhaust manifold, which will cause it to smoke.

You see that plastic cover between the windshield and the engine compartment? The air intake for the AC/heater is beneath that, on the passenger side. So any burning-off residue you have over there is going to make it's way, easily, into the cabin via the vents.

What is that last picture? Q-tips covered in old oil?

The nice thing about a leaky valve cover gasket is that it will likely only leak while the engine is warm enough to thin the oil to the point it can get passed the failed gasket. Also, since it's at the top of the engine, once you shut the engine off it should stop leaking fairly quickly as the oil runs back down into the crank case. Of course, it's probably getting oil all over the firewall and back passenger side of the engine, so it's likely a huge wet mess back there.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start by changing the cover gaskets. Usually it just leaks near the back on the Passenger side and drips on the exhaust as you've described. Very hard to see as all that stuff is right there. If it's leaking bad enough, it might be reaching the locations you've indicated. Regardless, if you are getting that oil burning smell it will be the gaskets. Do that and get a better look after you move the reservoir and hoses out of the way to replace the gaskets.

sfiforlife

Reaction score
Judging by the locations of the 'oil pools', I'm going say you may be onto something with the leaky valve cover gasket idea. It's probably been doing it a while, so some of that 'old' looking oil probably is old (as well as mixed with whatever dirt and grime is around). The question is, though, is it the valve cover gasket, or is it further down where the head and cylinder block meet? One is an easy-ish fix, the other is not.

Is the smoke 'white', or more 'blueish'? Blueish will be oil, white is typically coolant. Since you did have a bit of a leak, some could still be evaporating. However I suspect it's blueish. If the valve cover gasket is leaking, it's probably getting on the exhaust manifold, which will cause it to smoke.

You see that plastic cover between the windshield and the engine compartment? The air intake for the AC/heater is beneath that, on the passenger side. So any burning-off residue you have over there is going to make it's way, easily, into the cabin via the vents.

What is that last picture? Q-tips covered in old oil?

The nice thing about a leaky valve cover gasket is that it will likely only leak while the engine is warm enough to thin the oil to the point it can get passed the failed gasket. Also, since it's at the top of the engine, once you shut the engine off it should stop leaking fairly quickly as the oil runs back down into the crank case. Of course, it's probably getting oil all over the firewall and back passenger side of the engine, so it's likely a huge wet mess back there.

Thanks for the response. The Q-tips are there to show you the color of the oil in the pockets. I just stuck them down there and was surprised to see oil that dark when in reality my engine oil has been clear and new for 2 weeks. But like you said it could just be mixed with old oil. The oil is dripping onto my exhaust like you said which Im sure is part of what is causing the smoke and smell. Although, the oil in the pockets would also evaporate from my understanding since it gets so hot down there and I was wondering if I might have 2 different problems here.

Could a blown HG ever cause pools like the ones in the picture? I have no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil bytheway which is always a plus.

I went ahead and ordered a cover gasket for now and will go through the "Less painful" task by replacing them next week.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could a blown HG ever cause pools like the ones in the picture? I have no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil bytheway which is always a plus.

While oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil is a good sign of a blown head gasket, you can actually get coolant or oil leaks from the gasket to the outside of the engine without the two ever mixing.

That said, from the locations of the pictures your showing oil puddles at, I'm doubtful that oil, at least, came from the head gasket. That's above the head gasket, so the oil would have to be shooting out under pressure. I'd think it'd be noticeable if that happened (hood and everything would be coated in it). It is, however, directly beneath the valve cover gasket.

sfiforlife

Reaction score
I have received my Fel-Pro permadry rubber Cover Gasket today with no instructions. I have familiarized myself with the installation procedures by doing research though. The only question I have now is:

The website states not to use any dressing (Silicone, RTV etc), but I read on other forums that some people installed them and still had a leak so they proceeded to take it apart again and put dressing on them which then fixed the leak.....

Anyone here have advice on whether or not to follow the websites directions VS actual experience in installing them on whether or not to use dressing?

Thank you

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say. When I did the gasket on my '93 XJ I just made sure both mating surfaces were spotless and installed the gasket dry. It never leaked in the 15k or so miles I put on it after that before I sold it. The trick is to make sure the mating surfaces are as clean as possible without putting scratches in them.

If you do add RTV or anything, only use a little. You don't want any getting into the oil and clogging up an oil passage.

sfiforlife

Reaction score
Hard to say. When I did the gasket on my '93 XJ I just made sure both mating surfaces were spotless and installed the gasket dry. It never leaked in the 15k or so miles I put on it after that before I sold it. The trick is to make sure the mating surfaces are as clean as possible without putting scratches in them.

If you do add RTV or anything, only use a little. You don't want any getting into the oil and clogging up an oil passage.

What did you use to "clean" the surfaces?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Juast make sure all old gasket if any was left is cleaned off, old oil etc, just wipe down real good and install new gaskets. I never put gasket sealer etc on when I did mine. Make sure you got the gasket and the parts that go over the bolts as well ( the gromments ) Be sure to use the new ones provided

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Juast make sure all old gasket if any was left is cleaned off, old oil etc, just wipe down real good and install new gaskets. I never put gasket sealer etc on when I did mine. Make sure you got the gasket and the parts that go over the bolts as well ( the gromments ) Be sure to use the new ones provided

Fairly certain mine didn't come with grommets. Although i forget at this point. If I remember correctly they were connected to the valve cover along with the bolts? Maybe?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fairly certain mine didn't come with grommets. Although i forget at this point. If I remember correctly they were connected to the valve cover along with the bolts? Maybe?

Should of came with them , need to remove the old ones and replace with the new ones

sfiforlife

Reaction score
Yeap, I got the Grommets that also came with the cover gasket. I will make sure to take all your advice from this forum and completely clean both surfaces. Ill let you know how it goes. Thank you!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque them properly. Too much is just as bad as too little when it comes to a big thick gasket like that. You should have the metal covers? Pretty sure it's only about 105 inch pounds.

sfiforlife

Reaction score
All done!

No leaks at the bottom. Still got smoke and smell for just a bit since I had coolant and oil spill just a little bit while taking everything apart. I even watched it all burn off from the exhaust until there was no more left. Did not see any more leaks on the exhaust after that so the cover gasket did the job.

As for the oil in the pockets, they are still there. When I had all the stuff taken apart I put a rag on a long flat head screw driver and dug it into the pockets to try to get as much as I could out. It was so deep in there that I couldn't get it all out...

When I looked INSIDE the valve cover where the chains and gears are located at, I noticed those pockets of oil were located right outside of where the huge bolts were inside the valve compartment that attach it to the center of the engine. Not really sure if that's just a coincidence or if the oil is leaking from inside through the bolts that attach to the center of the engine? (Sorry I am not familiar with all engine components yet...)

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All done!

No leaks at the bottom. Still got smoke and smell for just a bit since I had coolant and oil spill just a little bit while taking everything apart. I even watched it all burn off from the exhaust until there was no more left. Did not see any more leaks on the exhaust after that so the cover gasket did the job.

As for the oil in the pockets, they are still there. When I had all the stuff taken apart I put a rag on a long flat head screw driver and dug it into the pockets to try to get as much as I could out. It was so deep in there that I couldn't get it all out...

When I looked INSIDE the valve cover where the chains and gears are located at, I noticed those pockets of oil were located right outside of where the huge bolts were inside the valve compartment that attach it to the center of the engine. Not really sure if that's just a coincidence or if the oil is leaking from inside through the bolts that attach to the center of the engine? (Sorry I am not familiar with all engine components yet...)

I would doubt it, as those bolts go through the head gasket.

Glad you got it done! It'll probably continue to smoke/stink for a while until all the crud burns off. You could try using some engine degreaser to speed the process, but you need to be careful not to short out anything.

Engines are fascinating things, aren't they? Lots of little fiddly bits moving at high speeds with tight tolerances.

Latest posts

Members online