Oil filter issue at Valvoline IOC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the temp and humidity are racing to see which gets to 100 first I decided to take my KJ in to Valvoline Instant Oil Change to get the oil changed instead of doing it myself. While I was sitting there watching the "show" I noticed they were putting on an oil filter that was quite a bit shorter and smaller in diameter. I asked the guy what was up and he replied, "We're consolidating filters" :freak3: My response was that until Jeep put out a bulletin that the oil filter dimensions were changing then I expect the factory type filter to go on my Jeep. Basically he explained I was SOL.

Anyone else had this experience? Am I right about this or is there two size filters that will work on here? I'm not good with less filtering, especially in this extreme heat we're having.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I would certainly take it elsewhere if you're intent on not doing it yourself. eek2.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know jiffy lube and and now valvoline are using the smallest filter that fits,thus putting in less oil which saves them money while charging you the same price.I know Firestone does not do this but I have seen they short the oil fill by 1/4-1/2 qts sometimes but been doing this along time and still put in the correct known amount of oil regardless of what the computer says.One off the top of my mind is the DOHC Ford V6's,they take 6qts of oil but our computer states to put 5.5qts in,I still put 6qts in which is at the full mark.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is BS. I hate when anyone touches my jeep and do all the maintenance myself. That way I know what oil/filter I used. I wouldn't let any IOC place near my jeep. I guess I am just ****.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Harsh, what a crock of S%^T.
I am sometimes lazy but.... Bring along your own oil filters and then take it in.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know jiffy lube and and now valvoline are using the smallest filter that fits,thus putting in less oil which saves them money while charging you the same price.I know Firestone does not do this but I have seen they short the oil fill by 1/4-1/2 qts sometimes but been doing this along time and still put in the correct known amount of oil regardless of what the computer says.One off the top of my mind is the DOHC Ford V6's,they take 6qts of oil but our computer states to put 5.5qts in,I still put 6qts in which is at the full mark.

Exactly. With an OEM size filter on my CRD, it takes 6 1/2 quarts. If I use a Mobil 1 M1-301 or Amsoil EaO-26 (longer and larger diameter, same thread and gasket size), it'll easily take 7 quarts.

Actually, there's only a few different industry standard thread and gasket sizes when it comes to oil filters. As long as the thread and gasket are the same, you can use a physically larger or smaller oil filter on your engine (provided there's room for it).

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stories like this, are the reason I tell people that when they find a good mechanic, treat him like your best friend or family!

When I come across a well-run shop, that's upfront with me and doesn't feed me a line of BS (20 years in the engineroom on submarines, 12 years building trucks for Freightliner, odds are I WILL KNOW if you're trying to put one over on me), does a competent job in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price (I don't mean dirt cheap - high enough for them to make a fair profit and make a living, but not so high I have to mortgage the house to fix the Jeep) - then I will do my best to give that shop as much repeat business as I can, and recommend them by word of mouth when the opportunity arises.

I don't usually give negative on-line reviews to the bad shops - they usually have enough other PO'd customers that take care of that already (unless they REALLY screw up and :favorites68: me off) - but I do make a point of going on line and giving positive reviews to the shops I've had good experiences with - seems everyone wants to carp about the bad shops, but no one wants to take the time to say "thanks guys!" to the good ones.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stories like this, are the reason I tell people that when they find a good mechanic, treat him like your best friend or family!

When I come across a well-run shop, that's upfront with me and doesn't feed me a line of BS (20 years in the engineroom on submarines, 12 years building trucks for Freightliner, odds are I WILL KNOW if you're trying to put one over on me), does a competent job in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable price (I don't mean dirt cheap - high enough for them to make a fair profit and make a living, but not so high I have to mortgage the house to fix the Jeep) - then I will do my best to give that shop as much repeat business as I can, and recommend them by word of mouth when the opportunity arises.

I don't usually give negative on-line reviews to the bad shops - they usually have enough other PO'd customers that take care of that already (unless they REALLY screw up and :favorites68: me off) - but I do make a point of going on line and giving positive reviews to the shops I've had good experiences with - seems everyone wants to carp about the bad shops, but no one wants to take the time to say "thanks guys!" to the good ones.

Need more guys like you around. I work at a Freightliner dealer and it seems like the only time you hear about a shop is when they messed something up.

On topic I would not go there again. Engines are engineered with a certain size filter for a reason. It may not hurt it to reduce the volume of flow through the filter but I would not want to be the one to find out. Also I make it a point to change my oil right before it gets super hot out. Then I know I can usually (unless I take a ton of trips) make it through the hottest part of the year before I need to change it again.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guitarzan: I think they deserve a flaming bag of dog excrement on their doorstep.

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing like cutting a few corners. Will using a different size filter make a difference? I quit going to those place unless absolute necessary, like for ****** flushes and coolant flushes. I don't have the means to do larger jobs like that and it's just easier for the shop to deal with it, especially the clean up and proper way to get rid of the used oil. My wife had an oil change at one of the national places (when I was out of town of course) and it was almost $60. They told her she waited too long in between oil changes and they needed to use a higher quality oil to clean out the motor and fix any damage that had been done. What??

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have also heard that Valvoline is going to use only one weight of oil from now on, so no matter what you car/truck/van uses you get the same weight
Never been in one of them nor will I ever go in. Never too hot to provide good maintenance on your own vehicle :whip:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have also heard that Valvoline is going to use only one weight of oil from now on, so no matter what you car/truck/van uses you get the same weight
Never been in one of them nor will I ever go in. Never too hot to provide good maintenance on your own vehicle :whip:

Yup, all the IOC places use bulk oil.

But sometimes it is too hot or too cold to do it so I usually do my oil changes and routine stuff in spring and then again in the fall before it is either too hot or too cold. I do other things when I do an oil change. I check everything under the hood. I roll around on the creeper underneith and check everything and spray all moving parts (rear ball joint, suspension bushings, etc) with "Endura". I put a rag under the filter to catch some of the oil before I take the filter out and wipe out the plastic oil funnel under the oil filter if any gets in there, wipe oily rag all over the engine and ****** pans, etc. Usually takes me an hour from the time I get the tools out and dispose of the used oil up the street.

Pic of the "Endura" which is a heave duty penetrant lube you can get at any auto parts place.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave