Oil change ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eemain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always used Dino oil in my cars but with the Jeep I am using Mobil 1 HM.

Changed the oil upon purchase and now 3500 miles later changed it again.

The Mobil 1 w/ Mobil 1 filter at 3.5k was black!!! Deep black!!!:jawdrop: No burnt smell or sludge ect...

Is this normal?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nothing to really worry about, the old owner probably did not change the oil often enough. The more frequent changes are cleaning it out.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always used Dino oil in my cars but with the Jeep I am using Mobil 1 HM.

Changed the oil upon purchase and now 3500 miles later changed it again.

The Mobil 1 w/ Mobil 1 filter at 3.5k was black!!! Deep black!!!:jawdrop: No burnt smell or sludge ect...

Is this normal?

Yeah, that's normal as Mobil 1 will really clean it out so do changes every 3K or so until it gets better.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on the 3k mark as well to clean it out. Black is kinda normal at 3k right now.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but check your PCV hoses like the one coming from the airbox and make sure it is at least connected and doesn't have cracks. That can suck in air bypassing the filter. Like I said, just a thought.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, but check your PCV hoses like the one coming from the airbox and make sure it is at least connected and doesn't have cracks. That can suck in air bypassing the filter. Like I said, just a thought.
That and don't use any type of oiled air filter like a K&N,that will allow more dirt in the engine making the oil look nasty.

Heck I switched back to dino engine oil as it's getting hard to find Mobil 1 EP in the 5w-30 weight around here.Most places only stock the thinner junk.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That and don't use any type of oiled air filter like a K&N,that will allow more dirt in the engine making the oil look nasty.

Heck I switched back to dino engine oil as it's getting hard to find Mobil 1 EP in the 5w-30 weight around here.Most places only stock the thinner junk.

ive noticed the 5w-30 EP is getting slim here to. i wonder what the deal is?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive noticed the 5w-30 EP is getting slim here to. i wonder what the deal is?
It's getting hard to find much of anything beside dino oil in 5w-30 around here.All you see is 5w-20 and 0w-20 in everything,heck there is more 10w-30 then 5w-30 supply on the shelfs.

Granted I'd use 10w-30 but it's going to get colder here fast as it's already creeping close to the low 40's and high 30's in the mornings already.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here 5w30 and 5w20 seem to be the most common still, even in synthetic....not sure about that Mobile EP. Haven't looked for that.