Oh look, a block heater!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya you get some nice 4x4 weather there....and look at the bright side, you keep fit shoveling all that snow! I think Boston getting buried right now.
I have friends in Northern BC/Alberta, the KJ goes deep in snow and cold annually, block heater helps in -30.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I plug ours in simply because it warms up the engine faster!
Also never had a problem ripping the block heater cord apart
due to the fact that we see the cord plugged into a bright
yellow extension cord that gets in the way of us getting to
the drivers door!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
New Fixed -Block Heater Extension Cord

All this talk of Block Heater's got me to rewire, this time with a new extension cord with a better rating and fixed 3 prong plug, from outside through the grill, to under the hood. :)
At Home Depot I found a $11 -9' Black Husky Medium Duty Tool Replacement cord that was rated at 15 amps, and 1875 Watts Part #110860 that has a quality, grounded, 3 prong Male and had bare wires on the other end, which made it easy to feed in the left side of the grill, through a rubber split square opening.
Then the cord went left, got zip strapped to rad frame support, and over to beside the air box, where the female connector was installed.
I moved the 3 prong cap off of the stock block heater cord to the front of the new extension.
Tested extension with a light bulb, then plugged into block heater.
Total time 1 hour and less than $20.\\:D/

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this talk of Block Heater's got me to rewire, this time with a new extension cord with a better rating and fixed 3 prong plug, from outside through the grill, to under the hood. :)
At Home Depot I found a $11 -9' Black Husky Medium Duty Tool Replacement cord that was rated at 15 amps, and 1875 Watts Part #110860 that has a quality, grounded, 3 prong Male and had bare wires on the other end, which made it easy to feed in the left side of the grill, through a rubber split square opening.
Then the cord went left, got zip strapped to rad frame support, and over to beside the air box, where the female connector was installed.
I moved the 3 prong cap off of the stock block heater cord to the front of the new extension.
Tested extension with a light bulb, then plugged into block heater.
Total time 1 hour and less than $20.\\:D/

Sounds cool... did you leave the original cord coiled like it came then?

You've got me thinking now... too darn cold out there now though... -12*C at the moment!

I so wish I had a garage!

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the original location was zip strapped to fuel rail. I cut the zip strap but left the original coil, so it could be moved closer to the air box, and so that the wire going towards the engine now has a straight run, away from hot areas. I left some slack in the wire for engine twist/movement. Really a nice set up now.(Cheers)

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked mine.. No Block Heater there :( I thought as al exports come with a bunch of extra wirring there was a good chance it would be there, but no luck.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hint for the block heater users that always worked well for me.. Run the extension cord so its hung over the drivers side mirror, then its a constant reminder when getting in. I've seen a few ripped apart... LOL

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hint for the block heater users that always worked well for me.. Run the extension cord so its hung over the drivers side mirror, then its a constant reminder when getting in. I've seen a few ripped apart... LOL

I thought of that too... and then I thought, my wife would probably rip off the mirror as well as rip out the wires when she drove off without unplugging it...
(rotflmao)

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keswick Dave, check with local electricians. Canadian Electrical Code dictates a dedicated 15 Amp cct for vehicle block heaters. Gimme a minute and I'll look up the rule #.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rules, humbug...

Rule 26-714(b) and 26-724(b) of Alberta Residential Electrical Code. Yeah, it's Alberta but the rules are based on the Canadian Electrical Code so I'm certain that they wouldn't be too different in Ontario. Stated quite simply, a dedicated plug in each car "space". But don't go referring to your Jeep as a car. TBJ will get you. Check out Canadian tire for a timer. They sell some Noma brand outdoor block heater timers for cheap. Mine runs for a couple of hours before I go to work. Oh, and check out Rona or Home Depot for a copy of the Ontario Residential Electrical code to see if the rules apply there. Cheers dude.

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rule 26-714(b) and 26-724(b) of Alberta Residential Electrical Code. Yeah, it's Alberta but the rules are based on the Canadian Electrical Code so I'm certain that they wouldn't be too different in Ontario. Stated quite simply, a dedicated plug in each car "space". But don't go referring to your Jeep as a car. TBJ will get you. Check out Canadian tire for a timer. They sell some Noma brand outdoor block heater timers for cheap. Mine runs for a couple of hours before I go to work. Oh, and check out Rona or Home Depot for a copy of the Ontario Residential Electrical code to see if the rules apply there. Cheers dude.

Hey ptsb5a, thanks for the info! Given the current draw of the heater it makes sense. Of course, my house was not built with any electrical codes in mind! Haha... but I am certainly conscious of that and most of the house has been upgraded, and all of it checked so it's at least safe.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I've talked to my electrician about putting a sub-panel in the garage, and a dedicated outlet for the Jeep (not the car, it doesn't have a block heater! ;) ) sounds like a good idea.

In the mean time, I will be careful when I'm using it.

P.S. If anyone is confused by my reference to a garage / no garage, I do have a "garage" type attachment to my house, and it may have been used as a garage in the past, but it is rather narrow and currently only has a "man-door" front and back, and I'm using it as a workshop/storage area. So we call it the garage, but I can't park a vehicle in it! Clear as mud? :)

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
olkay so i really need a picture of where the engine block plugs into the engine...

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
olkay so i really need a picture of where the engine block plugs into the engine...

I hope you mean the block heater... :) I could follow the wire and see where it goes but well... it's cold, late and I'm lazy ;)

If I have a milder day down the road I'll see what I can do, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get a camera in there!

Maybe someone has an FSM which would show it?

Dave

drfd74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered I have a block heater! Hurray for me...

Just wondering if anyone knows the wattage and/or amperage this thing pulls? I checked the owner's manual and it doesn't say much... "plug it in when it's cold" basically :)

I have other things plugged into my garage circuit though and don't want to risk overloading it.

Dave

I live in MT, last 13 yrs in unheated garage I use a heavy duty outdoor type timer,set for early A.M. and off mid morn. I had 2 plugged up at same time no prob. recpt. breaker most likely 20amp.
drfd74

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Dealer installed stock Block Heater only pulls 1250 Watts/10 amps.
My hairdryer is 1500 watts.
Most home circuits/breakers should be able to handle a block heater plugged in no problem.
Just go to 14 gauge/15 amp or better outdoor extension cords, and if using a timer get one rated to 15 amps or better.
Does anyone have a watt meter that could take a reading of the actual watts used? I got a feeling it is less than the sticker from block heater cord.

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dealer installed stock Block Heater only pulls 1250 Watts/10 amps.
My hairdryer is 1500 watts.
Most home circuits/breakers should be able to handle a block heater plugged in no problem.
Just go to 14 gauge/15 amp or better outdoor extension cords, and if using a timer get one rated to 15 amps or better.
Does anyone have a watt meter that could take a reading of the actual watts used? I got a feeling it is less than posted.

I understand that, but (for example) my radial arm saw pulls 13 amps, add 10 to that and you have a tripped breaker :) I'm pretty sure if my compressor kicked in it would trip it too. I only have the one circuit to my garage (workshop).

It's not that a 15 amp circuit can't handle it alone, just depends on what else you have plugged in. Hence a dedicated circuit seems to me to be a good idea if there's a chance of overload. And apparently it's the law in some places ;)

Dave