Block Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Liberty was built to go to Alaska (I looked it up), and it came factory equipped with a block heater. which of course, is not working. is there a fuse somewhere in the 110v line someplace, or is this a if it doesn't work, it's junk type of thing?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have full synthetic oil, no real need for using the block heater.
It would need to be plugged in for a very long duration for it to work properly.
Using a kill A watt meter, it only consumes 519 watts per hour. I do not believe there is a fuse.

Attachments

• Block Heater 519 Watts.jpg
    Block Heater 519 Watts.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 8

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't worried about it starting (and yes, I do use synthetic oil), I was hoping to be able to get a "head start" on getting heat inside the cabin. I'm getting old, and a little bit of electricity cost would be worth it to me if I got heat sooner. I put a new thermostat in it at the same time as I replaced the coolant and a new radiator. And it runs at the proper temperature (190 on the aftermarket real gauge). I'm just getting soft in my old age.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Overall the Jeep heats up in about 10 minutes or so while driving, when is cold out.
Lately it take me that long just to clear the snow off it anyways.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Remote starter is your friend. Set the heat controls when you get out of the car the night before, hit remote start, have that last cuppa coffee and go out to easily brush melted snow off windows and roof.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If you do add a block heater don't bother with the tank type that plumb into the cooling system. They're junky. Freeze plug heaters work well if installed properly.