Oh look, a block heater!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had one in both my old Cherokees and the Liberty came with one. Up here we plug in below 20 F. Helps keep the EPA off the muni's back re air quality. And it sure gets warm faster too. Have an inside switched duplex outside with a couple winter grade cords plugged in (separate beaker). Easy to plug in and unplug when I leave . Of late I leave it plugged in/turned on most of the time.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where might one look for this plug? I really want one for later on when I go camping up there in that there canada...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how many have forgotten to unplug it before we drove off ?
Kinda reminds me of the ole Drive In's where the speaker use to hang off your window....
I would recommend that if you have it ready out by the grill etc, that you try to zip strap it secure to something , just in case you forget to unplug it.That way you don't rip it apart.
A reminder "Block Heater" note to disconnect on seat or dash helps too.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where might one look for this plug? I really want one for later on when I go camping up there in that there canada...
Well mine was tie wrapped behind the air filter box. Kinda between that and the coolant tank.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's 13.6°F / -10.2°C here this morning, but the sun is trying to shine so I may sneak out and take a pic of the cord in it's original position, before i figure out what to do with it next!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Easiest way to locate it....
Loosen the two clamps securing the large air intake hose to Throttle Body, remove hose.
Now that you can see the passenger side fuel rail, it's there, (if u have one) close to the firewall.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to loosen or remove anything to notice mine, I was just poking around and saw it there... OK I'll go take a pic now, please stand by ;)

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK here you go... I am standing on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Heater cord is visible between the air box and the coolant tank. I don't see any tag with specs on it.

Now I just have to figure out how to route it to the grill.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pulled it out for better view...

P.S.

Does anyone else hate salt as much as I do?

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Keswick Dave that is some salt/grime.
I know when it's sub-zero car wash aint the best idea.
That's just down right scary under the hood...tons of salt powder everywhere.
I just got mine detailed after a snow bound trip. It nice to see it clean under the hood again. So far here the cold and snow has held off in the Lower-mainland. Last year we got 6 feet over 12 storms, I had to wait and stand in line up til March to get it detailed.
Ps: It looks like it is time to top up the HOAT to the cold line on the antifreeze tank.

Last edited:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Keswick Dave that is some salt/grime.
I know when it's sub-zero car wash aint the best idea.
That's just down right scary under the hood...tons of salt powder everywhere.
I just got mine detailed after a snow bound trip. It nice to see it clean under the hood again. So far here the cold and snow has held off in the Lower-mainland. Last year we got 6 feet over 12 storms, I had to wait and stand in line up til March to get it detailed.
Ps: It looks like it is time to top up the HOAT to the cold line on the antifreeze tank.

Yeah, I can't easily wash it myself in the winter and I just cringe at the thought of the power wash pushing all that salt into every nook and cranny, but eh, what can you do? Eventually it helps to be able to actually see out the windows!

I will admit however that the engine compartment is long overdue for a shampoo!

And yes I noticed the antifreeze too, wondered if someone would comment on that! ;)

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Libby three years ago I never gave the block heater a second thought because I haven't actually used one in years.

But this summer I remember exploring the inside of my engine bay and finding the plug. I believe it's standard equipment for vehicles sold in Canada like the rear window defroster.

I may try plugging in my block heater this winter simply to speed up the amount of driving time to make the interior warm. It's been bitterly cold here for the past two weeks (minus twelve Celsius) and is expected to get even colder by February (minus twenty).

I too have seen the occasional car driving down the road with what's left of it's extension cord. Its just too easy to forget to unplug I guess.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
LibertyFever, Seasons Greetings.
What I did with mine was build a 4 foot,heavy duty,removable, water proof extension cord out through the grille, where I secured it to the push bar with double wide zip straps. Applied petroleum jelly to prongs, to allow it to slide out of extension cord just in case, I forgot and drove away. Designed so in no way could I damage the original block heater cord itself. I simply used 3 prong cord, form an old microwave, (any appliance cord will do or an old power bar cord) and then fed the cut cord through the grille, then added the female end (screw in terminal ring connected) under the hood, made it removable. You can find a sliding cap cover for the end at some hardware stores for the outside prongs.

Last edited:

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh c'mon LibertyTC, when are you going to need an engine block heater in BC? :-s Isn't that the "wet" coast?

In February while we're still shoveling snow out here on the east coast you fellows are partying on the beach (partysmile)